Did you mean: 

Don't become an app addict.

tag
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

Re: Don't become an app addict.

@Dustink wrote:

Score drop.JPG

This chart is from credit karma, but it still paints a pretty good picture. My credit score prior to joining the board in October of 2012 was 744. By November I managed to app it down to 668.

I'm in the same boat as you. My score was 773 before this board tempted me to do an app spree. I don't even want to check what my score is now after a large spree I did about a month ago. Like you I'm still in my young 20's (22) so our AAoA is going to be looking pretty good once we hit our 30's, Smiley Very Happy.

Message 51 of 98
Dustink
Valued Contributor

How are you liking the alaska airlines card? I seem to be flying on them a lot.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 52 of 98
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Just got to add a mortgage to the mix at some point. As long as we don't get any baddies, we will have some solid credit reports.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 53 of 98
MyWorthiness
Established Member

Hey Dustin K, thanks for the replies!!
Message 54 of 98
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

I had to laugh and smh when I read this because I was starring in the mirror....LOL!!  I had a good time while it lasted.  It is something about that instant approval that kept drawing me in more and more.

In the span of less than one year I have 18 new accounts Smiley Embarassed.  I have even posted here asking if I should close some of them, but everyone's advice was to just leave them open.  My score tanked on TU about 70 points and is just now climbing back up.  EQ and EX were not so bad but even those are not where they once were.

Oh well....this is what an app addiction does to you Smiley Happy.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 55 of 98
starry1
Valued Contributor

I hear ya.  My score bumped a little when my first two cards reported, then tanked with cards three and four reported.  I know I'll get those points back in a couple months, but its still disheartening to see your score dropping.  But I'm not really an app addict, just rebuilding from nothing.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 56 of 98
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@starry1 wrote:

I hear ya.  My score bumped a little when my first two cards reported, then tanked with cards three and four reported.  I know I'll get those points back in a couple months, but its still disheartening to see your score dropping.  But I'm not really an app addict, just rebuilding from nothing.

That just looks like denial to me.

Message 57 of 98
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Ya but credit Karma also rewards the most points for people with 21+ tradelines. So they seem to have weighted their model on hopes you will app and use their sponsors to do so...

Message 58 of 98
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@starry1 wrote:

That just looks like denial to me.

It ain't just a river in Egypt.

Perhaps a substitution is in order.  The rush of submitting an application and being accepted is, quite simply, a manifestation of the human desire to obtain approval, even from strangers.  There are other ways to get that feeling without applying for credit.  Succumbing to peer pressure to do crack cocaine springs to mind.

Message 59 of 98
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

my credit karma score 3 months ago was 744... tu08 had me at 520, Eq at 607 so I wouldn't read too much into their scores...

Message 60 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.