Did you mean: 

Don't become an app addict.

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Don't become an app addict.

@Dustink wrote:

Score drop.JPG

This chart is from credit karma, but it still paints a pretty good picture. My credit score prior to joining the board in October of 2012 was 744. By November I managed to app it down to 668.

Thats a big drop!!! Well you did nab some pretty good cards!!!

And this is a CK score which is worthless.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 31 of 98
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Heh. I'm here. You guys suck!
My CK actually has gone up.
678 - 739!
Hah!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 32 of 98
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Score and average age doesn't matter to me. As long as you aren't getting approved for low limits, like less than 5000, opening cards isn't really a big deal. Until you reach low limit approvals or denials, I wouldn't be concerned about it. Although you really shouldn't apply for a card unless it will benefit you in some way.

Message 33 of 98
ImprovingYouth
Regular Contributor

In all honesty dont you think what you have accomplished is by far worth the drop in (temporary) score? You have numerous credit cards with high limits, especially if you are factoring your age. You have a pretty sweet ride with a 0% auto loan. These things any number of people on this board would tade 100 pts of credit to obtain. Prior to joining this board you undertook very beneficial credit practices that enabled you to reap the rewards today and I commend you for that. IMO credit scores are meaningless. The ability to obtain credit and strengthen your financial position is priceless, however if you obtain financial well-being it wouldnt matter if your scores were 500 or 850. So once you get the mortgage, to hell with your score!

Keep at it OP Smiley Wink

Age: 22 //Cards: Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Visa, Discover IT, CreditOne, CapOne Quicksilver, CapOne Cash, Walmart, Barclaycard, Citibank BestBuy, NavyFederal Visa Signature cashRewards //AAoA: 1 Year 3 Months (but going down quickly Smiley Tongue) //CK:692, Sesame:656
Message 34 of 98
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Default4 wrote:

CK seems to bounce back right at the six month mark when it comes to new accounts. I wouldn't worry so much. It is just a FAKO...

The problem is I do think I can go 6 months without obtaining a new account.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 35 of 98
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@ImprovingYouth wrote:

In all honesty dont you think what you have accomplished is by far worth the drop in (temporary) score? You have numerous credit cards with high limits, especially if you are factoring your age. You have a pretty sweet ride with a 0% auto loan. These things any number of people on this board would tade 100 pts of credit to obtain. Prior to joining this board you undertook very beneficial credit practices that enabled you to reap the rewards today and I commend you for that. IMO credit scores are meaningless. The ability to obtain credit and strengthen your financial position is priceless, however if you obtain financial well-being it wouldnt matter if your scores were 500 or 850. So once you get the mortgage, to hell with your score!

Yeah, I guess it was worth the score drop. I think I had about a year of credit history when I joined the forum. I think it was the short history that made the drop so significant. I would also agree that in a sense credit scores are meaningless. What is important is the larger financial picture.

The mortgage is an investment property, so it is just one more building block. Hopefully, I can buy the house in a year or so. Need to get that auto loan paid off ASAP.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 36 of 98
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Heh. I'm here. You guys suck!
My CK actually has gone up.
678 - 739!
Hah!!

Smiley Tongue

Message 37 of 98
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 38 of 98
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@ImprovingYouth wrote:

Yeah, I guess it was worth the score drop. I think I had about a year of credit history when I joined the forum. I think it was the short history that made the drop so significant. I would also agree that in a sense credit scores are meaningless. What is important is the larger financial picture.

The mortgage is an investment property, so it is just one more building block. Hopefully, I can buy the house in a year or so. Need to get that auto loan paid off ASAP.

+1 to ImprovingYouth.

For Dustin...what you've accomplished is no small feat for a 21year old.  Yup, you took a hit.  We all do at some point in playing this "game".  HOWEVER.....given the knowledge you have, the obvious maturity to manage credit well, and (hopefully) the financial wherewithal to continue your journey...just think where you'll be in 2 years...in 5 years...in 10 years.  Heck, you'll only be 31 in ten years and you will be GOLDEN!!!  Smiley Wink

Message 39 of 98
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Default4 wrote:

CK seems to bounce back right at the six month mark when it comes to new accounts. I wouldn't worry so much. It is just a FAKO...

The problem is I do think I can go 6 months without obtaining a new account.

I know what you mean. I've gotten into a really bad habit of applying every three months. It makes it worse that I haven't been denied any credit since I was first starting out in September of 2011. I can't wait for those inquiries to all drop off. I think especially for us (younger people) apping constantly is just part of getting started. If we can get approved for Prime cards now why wait? In ten years as long as we continue down the right path we will have 800+ scores with plenty of accounts and a long aaoa. There couldn't be many more cards that you want. Even I'm kind of getting to the point that there aren't more then maybe two or three. So even if you app for one here and there the base that you've built will support the trade lines and your aaoa won't take as big of a hit. If your looking at a mortgage just stop apping lol. Plan an app spree for the day after you close. 

Message 40 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.