Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't bother with AMEX credit cards

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: Don't bother with AMEX credit cards

Timothy wrote:
Just because you PIF- does not make you immune.

After what you've gone through, and after what I've read about others' charge cards suddenly being slapped with an actual CL, as well as CLD's on the revolvers, I'll be watching my Gold and Blue over the next few months to see if my few-hundred-dollar balances on a couple other cards that I've had to run up in the last month or so cause AmEx to take AA on me.

I PIF my AmExes without fail, so I'm kinda viewing this as an experiment to see just how neurotic and over-reactive they are, these days - my Blue has a teeny $1K limit, and so far my Gold still shows 'No Pre-Set Limit' when I check it online.  Fingers crossed... Smiley Wink

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 91 of 183
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone been denied purchases on green, gold, plat? Where you have to call Amex and they say, sorry too much money on an active card?
Message 92 of 183
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Not so far on me. And they gave it to me when I had 84% util on a new BT card (much lower now.)

I know they did something to one of our members with a charge card (sorry, can't remember the details), but in general, I think that they're less nuts-o with the charge cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 93 of 183
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Timothy wrote:
Just because you PIF- does not make you immune-

I PIF my AMEX's every month- 

Do you carry any balances on other cards?

wmarat wrote:
I just do not carry any balances on my Amex. So far so good.

My util is about 3%

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 94 of 183
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eat dirt, Amex.
Eat dirt.
Message 95 of 183
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if everyone of you files a BBB complaint?  That might hit them where it hurts and it will certainly make it's way to the right place!

This forum if full of lots of people that have been very successful fighting some of the nastiest CA's - I think filing a simple complaint with the BBB would be easy for everyone.

sankofa wrote:

There should be ONE  telephone number and/ address posted where people can write the people "at the top" making these decisions.  I wish someone would post it here on this forum.  

Sandy

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-03-2008 06:31 PM
Message 96 of 183
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just get rid of the card. Who needs stress from a CC lender, especially people who can get decent cards elsewhere.
Message 97 of 183
OntheHorizon
Valued Member

Michelle Clark
Care of Consumer Relations
AESC-GSO
777 American Expressway
Fort Lauderdale, FL  33337

Supposedly she's senior V.P.  Now I haven't checked to see if this is valid, but it's what I got after I expressed my "thoughts" on their practices.  Whoever she is will be receiving a letter from me twice a month until I get a valid reason on why it was done or they give me my initial line back.  Hope you guys do the same.  (also BBB and AG as well, just because they're AmEx doesn't mean they can do whatever they want)
Message 98 of 183
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope-
My Charge card statement just cut- $5435 balance-

No problems with the charge card- like I said i PIF'ed my personal revolving cards and SD'ed them

ilovepizza wrote:
Has anyone been denied purchases on green, gold, plat? Where you have to call Amex and they say, sorry too much money on an active card?

Message 99 of 183
Anonymous
Not applicable

OntheHorizon wrote:
Michelle Clark
Care of Consumer Relations
AESC-GSO
777 American Expressway
Fort Lauderdale, FL  33337

Supposedly she's senior V.P.  Now I haven't checked to see if this is valid, but it's what I got after I expressed my "thoughts" on their practices.  Whoever she is will be receiving a letter from me twice a month until I get a valid reason on why it was done or they give me my initial line back.  Hope you guys do the same.  (also BBB and AG as well, just because they're AmEx doesn't mean they can do whatever they want)

Thanks OntheHorizon for this information.   I will write a letter to her too.  

I also will write our state attorney general here in NY, Andrew M. Cuomo.

Sandy

Message 100 of 183
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.