Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't bother with MERRICK BANK ! ! ! !

tag
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

Don't bother with MERRICK BANK ! ! ! !

Merrick Bank is closing accounts due to "too many new accounts in the last 6 months". It doesn't matter if your FICO score is good or if you've never had a late payment or overlimit with them. Evidently thousands of accounts have been closed as of December 1st.

I logged onto my account today to find they had closed mine as well. My account is about 9 months old with a horrible 24.45% APR. Thankfully I've since opened new tradelines with the top-tier "Prime" banks!

Avoid Merrick if possible (Hooters Card, Merrick Visa) !!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Don't bother with MERRICK BANK ! ! ! !

I just check mine and it's still open. I opened a lot new accounts since I got my Hooters card a year ago and if they decide to close it o well. I just see it as 1 less card I have to worry about using just to keep it open.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Merrick Visa for 4 years now, and I have a Hooters MC for one year.

In the last year I opened 6 new credit cards and a new mortgage in 7/08.

Merrick has NOT lowered or closed any of my accounts.

I do not think that opening new accounts is their reason for closure.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got a CLI with Merrick
Message 4 of 8
heirophant
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just got a CLI with Merrick

Same story here.  My statement cut yesterday and I  have a whopping $300 CLI from $3000 to $3300.  But, its something, so I won't complain.

Also, within the last six months, I have opened 2 accounts.  No AA from them yet.  I'm happy with my Hooters card.  A few of my cards have recently hit the 1 year mark as well, so my FAKO just rose dramatically in the last couple of months on TU from 590's to 650's.  And in the past 8 months, my WAMU PFICO has gone from 561 to 643.  Nice!  Hooters should be pleased with me.

Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recieved the same letter,"closed " for the same reason.
Message 6 of 8
mario6585
Established Member

Same here... Attempted to use my card for a purchase and come to find out the card got denied..so when i got home i logged into my account and sure enough there was no available credit just a small balance that i still owe on the account. Then 4 days later i recieved a letter stating my account was closed because of to many recently opened accounts( 5 new accounts in 6 months). The thing that pisses me off is that they could have atleast notified me before hand so i didnt feel like low life in front of the girl at the counter.  Never paid late and most of the time never carried a balance. Freaking weird banking if you ask me.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mario6585 wrote:
Same here... Attempted to use my card for a purchase and come to find out the card got denied..so when i got home i logged into my account and sure enough there was no available credit just a small balance that i still owe on the account. Then 4 days later i recieved a letter stating my account was closed because of to many recently opened accounts( 5 new accounts in 6 months). The thing that pisses me off is that they could have atleast notified me before hand so i didnt feel like low life in front of the girl at the counter.  Never paid late and most of the time never carried a balance. Freaking weird banking if you ask me.

Be happy they at least notified you.  I had a LoC with GEMB and a credit card with them.  They closed both of the accounts and never bothered to notify me.  The only reason I know is because I saw they were closed on my credit reports.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.