cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give up until you've called the backdoor number!

tag
isilon01
Valued Member

Don't give up until you've called the backdoor number!

About a week ago, I applied for a Citibank ThankYou Visa Card and got declined.  Today, I received a letter explaining why they declined my application.  It said "your total credit obligations, which include outstanding credit lines, are too high to meet our approval guidelines, when compared to your stated income".  That didn't make any sense because my DTI is roughly about 25%.  Then I remembered seeing a thread about calling Backdoor numbers to talk to a live person about your application status.  So I called the Citibank one (800-763-9795) and was connected with a human operator right away!  Then I told her that I didn't agree with the letter. She said she would be happy to resubmit my app for someone to review.  I had to listen to some disclaimers before I could say "Please go ahead" to her.  Then she put me on hold for a minute or two and told me "congratulations, you've been approved!"  Best 5 minutes I spent this week!!  Now I'm waiting for my new Citibank visa card with a $7k CL.  I tried to get her to give me a CLI on the spot but she said she didn't have any such authority but also said that once I've received my card I should call the customer service to ask for a CLI.  I'm going to do my homework and search the forum to formulate my game plan before I pick up the phone!  

Chase Sapphire Preferred: 33k | Chase MP Exp: 25k | Barclay WM: 15k | Discover: 14k | Citi TYP: 15k | Cap1 QS: 6k | WellsFargo: 7k | Amex BCE: 20k | Amex Platinum: NPSL

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Don't give up until you've called the backdoor number!

@isilon01 wrote:

About a week ago, I applied for a Citibank ThankYou Visa Card and got declined.  Today, I received a letter explaining why they declined my application.  It said "your total credit obligations, which include outstanding credit lines, are too high to meet our approval guidelines, when compared to your stated income".  That didn't make any sense because my DTI is roughly about 25%.  Then I remembered seeing a thread about calling Backdoor numbers to talk to a live person about your application status.  So I called the Citibank one (800-763-9795) and was connected with a human operator right away!  Then I told her that I didn't agree with the letter. She said she would be happy to resubmit my app for someone to review.  I had to listen to some disclaimers before I could say "Please go ahead" to her.  Then she put me on hold for a minute or two and told me "congratulations, you've been approved!"  Best 5 minutes I spent this week!!  Now I'm waiting for my new Citibank visa card with a $7k CL.  I tried to get her to give me a CLI on the spot but she said she didn't have any such authority but also said that once I've received my card I should call the customer service to ask for a CLI.  I'm going to do my homework and search the forum to formulate my game plan before I pick up the phone!  

Congarts 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats!  I'm going for a Citi card next year after my lates are off my report. I hope I have the same outcome.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 8
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Well done, OP!  I had heard you have to write to Citi to get recon results but I'm very glad to hear you had success in calling.

Message 5 of 8
knoregs
Established Contributor

Congrats!

~kn

EQ: 700 (FICO ScoreWatch) 11/26/14
EX: ??? (No Current)
TU: 681 (Discover FICO) 11/12/14

Last App 9/22/14... In Garden 'till Summer '15
Message 6 of 8
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Excellent job! Congratulations OP!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
missjae
Established Contributor

Congrats!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.