cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Done rebuilding but still has rebuilder cards?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Done rebuilding but still has rebuilder cards?

Are you done rebuilding but still have rebuilder cards in your wallet or sock drawer?  I have one which is Merrick. I use it once in awhile to see if they will increase my limit beyond it's current $1600. The card doesn't have an AF so I don't have a reason to cancel. It's usually hidden in my car in case I leave home without my wallet.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sr383
Regular Contributor

Re: Done rebuilding but still has rebuilder cards?

It's OK to end up someplace without a driver's license, but NEVER leave the house without a credit card. Smiley Very Happy

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still have mine. My first 2 cards when I started rebuilding was Walmart and Victoria Secret, and I still have both of them Heart

Message 3 of 7
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@sr383 wrote:

It's OK to end up someplace without a driver's license, but NEVER leave the house without a credit card. Smiley Very Happy

I started leaving one in the car when I left my wallet at home one day and only had about $10.00 available. Had to pay for parking and only had enough for a slice of pizza. Came up about 20 cents short to buy a drink with it so I now keep more of a stash of cash in the car along with a card. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I closed my Capital one secured credit card two days ago. I've had the card since 2012. It was my first card when I started rebuilding. My credit scores have significantly improved earlier this year and I've obtained some really great cards so I could not justify keeping this one. Between the AF and the fact that they have my $800 I just figured it was time to let it go. 

But I totally understand why you are keeping yours. If there is no AF and it's not secured...  makes sense.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

Are you done rebuilding but still have rebuilder cards in your wallet or sock drawer?  I have one which is Merrick. I use it once in awhile to see if they will increase my limit beyond it's current $1600. The card doesn't have an AF so I don't have a reason to cancel. It's usually hidden in my car in case I leave home without my wallet.

I have to keep my rebuilder card. They won't approve me for anything else. I'm not going to be using it. It's just going to be sitting there.

Message 6 of 7
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I have to keep my rebuilder card. They won't approve me for anything else. I'm not going to be using it. It's just going to be sitting there.

Hang in there! You'll be receiving offers and approvals in no time! 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.