Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE Mar '17: Chase aggressive AA after consolidation request

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Done with Chase, aggressive AA after consolidation request

Ugh I am likely getting ready to close a chase card and move some limits around and now I am a bit nervous about it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 51 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all,

So I finally got the courage to ring Chase, called the number directly on the adverse action letter sent which went right into the lending department.  Spoke for a good 23 minutes about the accounts, he reviewed all my Chase accounts, member since Nov '14, never late, all balances with Chase paid off.  

I previously had a $5,000 CL on AARP, $5,000 CL on Freedom, $5,000 CL on Marriott and $13,000 on United.  I requested the AARP card be closed and rolled into the Marriott, instead they closed the AARP card, reduced the line on my Freedom card to $1,000, Marriott down to $2,900 and United down to $7,800.

After a lengthy and very honest conversation, he said I was right on the border between income and outstanding debt to get everything reinstated.  Back in July, I left my full-time job at USAA to start my own business, so my income has dropped and debt has increased because of those decisions.  In the mean time he was able to reinstate my Marriott line back to its original amount.  As others have pointed out, he said that is not a final decision and as my situation improves I can call Chase to review their decision and see what options are available.  

I want to thank everyone who's participated on this thread, especially those who have offered encouragement and patience.  I'll keep everyone posted as the situation continues to develop.  

Oz

Message 52 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UPDATE Mar '17: Chase aggressive AA after consolidation request

Sounds like you are okay with the way it turned out, and that is all that matters. Happy for you. Congrats on your new business venture!
Message 53 of 60
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Congrats on staying the course and getting it all figured out. Things like this can be so frustrating. 

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 54 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sounds like you are okay with the way it turned out, and that is all that matters. Happy for you. Congrats on your new business venture!

I'm glad they're keeping the dialog open.  The fact that they're willing to work with me especially over time is promising.  He did ask me which card I used the most and he could restore that line, if I wanted to be a booger I should have said the United since that one was cut the most., however, I like my Marriott too much to see that line under 5k lol

Oz

Message 55 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrsCHX wrote:

Congrats on staying the course and getting it all figured out. Things like this can be so frustrating. 

Thanks!  I wish AMEX had been as considerate as well.  They dropped my $25k BCP down to $3,200 back in Dec when my friend had maxed the Cap1 card.  AMEX requested everything short of a full on FR, bank statements, proof of income, tax returns but still stood by their decision.  I'll get that line back up there eventually, especially since AMEX SPs for CLIs.  With Chase doing HPs for CLIs, it's nice to see that they can do a SP review and see if they'll restore any additional lines.

Oz

Message 56 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you did the right thing. To me having better cards, or ones you like the best since we all have differences on who and what card are good.... having a smaller number of or smaller limit on them is more important than having a larger quantity or limit on cards.

It is nice they were willing to work with you. You hear a lot of bad things about the "big banks" and how they don't care about the little guy and only care of big companies and business Accounts. This is a nice story to contradict that.
Message 57 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's fantastic that they're willing to work with you. Good luck with the new business venture!

Message 58 of 60
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Yep, the only time I have seen Chase do customer requested SP CLI's is when you call them to get limits reinstated. It happened to my sis, she had limits slashed because of a SM consolidation request, but had her limits restored when she gardened and reduced balances.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 59 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase is known to be reactive to the phenomenon known as "balance creep"

I'm not surprised at all but sympathize. Best of luck in recovering your credit limits.
Message 60 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.