cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Cash, Better Balance Rewards or It?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Double Cash, Better Balance Rewards or It?

excuse me, 3.5. 11/01/2011
Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
personally i wouldn't bother with both, but last year the gas categories were separate so basically you get 5% back on gas for 6 months. i can't get into discover lol. denied me in april, but i have had my freedom for 4.5 years

Gotcha. Yeah, I saw the 2 quarters of gas, that's a nice touch. I always need gas. I applied for Discover back in October and they denied me for the collection I had reporting. It's gone now and I plan to try for Discover again in October. I would like the Freedom too, but I'd like my scores over 700 before I try. 

Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

i really don't remember what my score was when i first got the freedom because i was 20 and didn't care. i just knew my credit was good lol.
Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

If gas is a big category for you Sallie Mae could also be worth a gander as it's 5% year round and is at the top of my wish list when I get my utilization and inquiries down along with my limits and score up
Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC, Discover it & BofA Cash Rewards would be a better choice.  I'm waiting on a pre qualify from Citi for the DC.  Good luck.  Hope you get some great SL's!   Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If gas is a big category for you Sallie Mae could also be worth a gander as it's 5% year round and is at the top of my wish list when I get my utilization and inquiries down along with my limits and score up

Ditto - me too. Looking towards the end of the year to try though.

Message 26 of 33
IFtkkdx428
Regular Contributor

@myjourney wrote:
@myjourney wrote:

Where are you pre-quailified for the IT? 

I hope it isn't based on the CK findings? Read top right hand corner of CK approval card for you (disclaimer)

Also hope it's not Discover website ...If so go back and enter the following info 

First name: Discover 

Last name: It

Last 4 SS#: 9999

And congrats you'll have an offer Mr or Mrs Discover It....

I'm pre-qualified via Discover's website. It's not based on Credit Karma findings, I know better than to trust these. I won't do that, but I believe you when it comes to entering in the above information. I know pre-qualified offers hold little to no weight when it comes to most lenders. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________IMHO I would sit tight and grow the SM card which would fit your spending and offer good cashback 

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. I don't need another card, however I would hate to leave money on the table. 

@Anonymous wrote:

IMO go ahead and get the BBR AND the DC.  I like double cash because of it being 2% all day every day.  And if you go ahead and get the BBR in 12 months the inquiry will not matter any more and being as young as you are your AAOA will not take a MASSIVE dip that can't be made up within that year for the most part as well.

Sure, I guess I wouldn't mind applying for two cards. However, three is a little much. I would really prefer one card for the time being. I know I can manage the credit responsibly, however I'm realizing that more cards equal more management. I don't feel uncomfortable now, however I'm not sure how many more cards this would take. Baby steps right? I'm only 23.

@Anonymous wrote:

@IFtkkdx428: Just a small note on the part where you mentioned having a little bit of trouble remembering which rewards card to use. A lot of people have mentioned at one time or another on these forums the great Wallaby app. It should tell you when you're at a store/restaurant/gas station/etc., which of your rewards cards is the best to use. I recently downloaded it but then realized I don't have enough different rewards cards yet to not know when to use which one, hehe. Smiley LOL

Oh my, I have never known about this! Thank you, thank you, thank you! If only I could kudo your post a million times! I browse this forum quite a lot, but I have never ever heard about Wallaby until now! Woah, this changes everything!

Now I didn't realize this, but apparently I have been hitting the $250 cap on Barclay Sallie Mae's Gas Station category ever since I've had the card. I have a feeling that a cigarette habit is the reason to blame for this. I actually have a quit date for next week. I'm not sure how much I spent on this bad habit, however I imagine that gas and other miscellaneous items aren't going to put me near the cap once I quit. Wallaby shows that I should currently be using the AMEX Blue Cash Everyday for 2% Gas Station in place of Sallie Mae's 5% because it's capped out.

I know I'm probably probably preaching to the choir, but Wallaby is perfect for merchant coding! It's difficult for me to keep up with, let alone remember which places I frequent are listed as what. Even more tedious to check every purchase and find out what they're coded as. For example, Wallaby shows that a liquor store I frequent is actually oddly listed as a Restaurant category, so I should now be using the Huntington Voice's 3% Restaurant category I have set for purchases there. Another one, the gas station I frequent is listed as a Restaurant, which I suppose makes some sense given they sell prepared food there. However, I've been using Sallie Mae's 5% Gas Station category when I was really getting 1%. Once again, I should be using the Voice when purchasing there. 

I didn't realize I have been earning so much from rewards, yet at the same time leaving so much money on the table. I have earned $89.50 in the past 90 days, but have also missed $31.24. I realize that I can maximize rewards with Wallaby and this will be very helpful. I definitely need to work on this.

Once again, I can't thank you enough! 

@Kostya1992 wrote:

I'm slightly offended by this post because I do work for a bank, however we can set our differences aside. It's not taking advantage of their rewards, that's the problem. It's the use of a hard pull or AAoA being brought done for a card that would be sock drawered for a $100 reward that causes guilt. If there wasn't such a thing as hard pulls or AAoA's then you bet I would collect 100's of Better Balance Rewards cards.

Inquiry and AAoA are an issue if you plan to apply for a car loan or a morgage in the next year or so, otherwise it is just credit score enthusiasm. Plenty of people here mass app for 10+ cards to expand their credit portfolios. Besides, if you have 10+ cards reporting for a long time, eventually the dings to AAoA from opening new credit is virtually non-existant.

Like I said above. I trust myself with the amount of credit in terms of limits, however I think it's the actually the number of credit lines that slightly bother me. I believe I manage the cards I currently have decently, however with each card I acquire I realize the more management it takes. I don't think I have hit this personal threshold, nor do I know how many cards are enough. Maybe it's psychological, who knows. However, at this point in my life I do not feel comfortable spreeing for multiple cards at once. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the It and Freedom, happy to have both. This is my first quarter with the Freedom so I can't say much, but I think they're both worth having. Right now both overlap on restaurants, but the It has movies at the moment which Freedom doesn't have, and Freedom has a number of stores that It doesn't have. Plus, even if the categories overlap from time to time, you never know if you might go over the $1500 on one at some point. Also, I've earned a decent amount back during the time I've had my It, Q4 last year was Amazon and department stores, ended up maxing out the $1500, and Q1 was transportation/gas, which I spent at least a few hundred in as I traveled during those months.

In general I love my Discover and am happy to have it, card is pretty, support is awesome, lately CLIs have been great. Also, free Fico score each month, lots of deals to get higher percentages back on various sites by using the Discover Deals portal, aaaaand, they sent everyone (I think?) a $5 Starbucks gift card for Christmas, kind of love them for that little gesture.

With all of that said, if you're absolutely only going to get one card, I'd likely do the Double Cash personally. That's at the very top of my want-list, I would love to have it for all my non-category spending, it would probably see the most month to month use behind my Amex. And since you already have the Freedom the It has less benefit I think. Although you already have Quicksilver as well, so I suppose that's similar!

I'd probably just say to go with all three... Although of course I understand if you don't want to. Just that they all have some really nice perks and are quite different from each other (in my opinion).

Also, @

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in regards to having both! 

@kdm31091 wrote:

"Get all 3" is not necessarily a good recommendation for everyone. While that may be the ticket to maximize rewards, not everyone wants to have that many cards.

To answer your question OP, I would opt for the It. I know everyone around here loves the BBR for the $25 a quarter without having to spend much; but I just don't find it very exciting. There is no incentive to spend more on it or make it a "daily driver" or anything. It's just a card for occasional use for a small quarterly return. Too much hassle for me and one more account to worry about but YMMV.

Double Cash is a good general spend card; keep in mind that anecdotally it seems Citi gives lower limits and higher APRs than people expect with this card. I've seen even very good scores netting people a $1-2k Double Cash at 22.99%. While the APR doesn't matter as much if you usually PIF, it's still kind of a slap in the face. You have a Quicksilver with no AF. Do the math but I'm not sure Double Cash is a significant enough gain to worry about adding -- your QS would then be useless, and you can simply use your QS as general spend. DC is not a huge gain outside of large spend, and then you'd have two cards that have the same purpose which to me is pointless.

As for the Discover It, they have great categories during the year and I feel it beats the Chase Freedom (strictly on an "on its own" cash back perspective, NOT talking about when joined with CSP which is a different topic). The Discover categories are usually more broad (home improvement and online shopping vs Freedom's just Lowe's or just Amazon), and Discover, at least in my experience, is good about growing with you.

To sum it up, I'd just stick with your Quicksilver and apply for a Discover. There is really no reason to worry about getting a BBR, IMO, an overrated card and the Double Cash is rather superfluous with your QS.

I appreciate your response and thought process, thank you!

@Anonymous wrote:
personally i wouldn't bother with both, but last year the gas categories were separate so basically you get 5% back on gas for 6 months. i can't get into discoverlol. denied me inapril, but i have had my freedom for 4.5 years

I don't understand your advice. You wouldn't bother with both, yet after having the Freedom for over 4 years you apply for the It? I don't understand your reasoning, you say one thing and not another. It seems you wouldn't bother with it because you were denied? I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers, however you should reread your post. Seems somewhat contradicting. Hope you understand and don't take this the wrong way. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Towards the bottom of the original post I disclosed the current cards I have, Sallie Mae being one of them. I do agree it's the best card to have, but thank you.

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi DC, Discover it & BofA Cash Rewards would be a better choice.  I'm waiting on a pre qualify from Citi for the DC.  Good luck.  Hope you get some great SL's!   Smiley Wink

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Which one is the better choice? You state all of them are. 

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IFtkkdx428

I didn't want to quote your ginormous reply, lol. Smiley LOL But you are most welcome. I am so glad I downloaded the app myself. I don't have a lot of reward cards (yet) but when I add more at the end of the year, I will be definitely using it daily. And I love sharing my knowledge to help others. Hope you got enough replies to make a choice? Have you decided yet? I'd love to know which one you go with.

Message 28 of 33
IFtkkdx428
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@IFtkkdx428

I didn't want to quote your ginormous reply, lol. Smiley LOL But you are most welcome. I am so glad I downloaded the app myself. I don't have a lot of reward cards (yet) but when I add more at the end of the year, I will be definitely using it daily. And I love sharing my knowledge to help others. Hope you got enough replies to make a choice? Have you decided yet? I'd love to know which one you go with.

I haven't decided yet. Everyone has given a mix of opinions, which typically there all one sided. All opinions are excellent with valid points. Usually if I realize I have a need for another card, I don't wait around this long to make a decision. However, I'm not acting with as much haste this time around. I suppose I'll sleep on it a little longer and decide. I'll be sure to PM you to the link of the approval thread when I do though. Speaking of opinions, you never gave me yours, haha!

Message 29 of 33
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@IFtkkdx428 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IFtkkdx428

I haven't decided yet. Everyone has given a mix of opinions, which typically there all one sided. All opinions are excellent with valid points. Usually if I realize I have a need for another card, I don't wait around this long to make a decision. However, I'm not acting with as much haste this time around. I suppose I'll sleep on it a little longer and decide. I'll be sure to PM you to the link of the approval thread when I do though. Speaking of opinions, you never gave me yours, haha!

HHHMMM, my opinion.  I don't relish more than one 5% rotator.  The better app would be a second Sallie Mae.  Need about six months or more with current one.  If the Sallie Mae wasn't an instant approval online, then might have hard time getting second.  To me, quicksilver is as good as double cash (though my latest offer was 18 month 0%, 14.99 after).  Need to get Cap One EO to match that one.  I Personally wouldn't have both discover and freedom, and there does become a point in time where discover acceptance is an issue.

So, if not ready for second Sallie Mae, then go for BBR.  No need to take hits for HP's and AAoA for cards that kinda duplicate what you already have.  Another consideration, if not getting second Sallie Mae, and you are maxing out the categories, consider upgrading your BCE to BCP.

Signature needs updating
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.