cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double-Dipping CSR/CSP Points... Possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double-Dipping CSR/CSP Points... Possible?

So my question is formatted similar to many discussions of people wondering if they qualify for CSR's 100k point offer after taking advantage of CSP's 50k point offer, but my situation is reversed.  I skipped the CSP and now have a CSR.   I know I've seen several people say that you cannot double dip like this, but I've seen others say it shouldn't matter.  I know at one point I couldn't take 2 steps without bumping into these discussions, but now that I'm actively looking for them, they've gone Jimmy Hoffa on me.  So I apologize for a worn out topic, even if my situation is reversed from the usual format.

In reading the terms of the promotion on my CSP, quoted below, I see no reason why I wouldn't qualify for the 50k points unless they consider "this card" an umbrella term for the Sapphire family to include both the Reserve and the Preferred.

50,000 Bonus Points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account open date

This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months. You will receive 50,000 bonus points with this bonus offer. To qualify and receive your bonus, you must make Purchases totaling $4,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. ("Purchases" do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus points to post to your account. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.

I've only had CSR for a couple of weeks and as of right now the CSP shows up under my pre-qualified offer screen (which I understand is still no guarantee of approval), but my plan is to take advantage of the CSR promo and then in 2 1/2-3 months apply for the CSP to take advantage of that offer.  Unfortunately for the sake of instant gratification, I do not spend enough to utilize the $4,000 requirement for EACH card unless I just go on an unneccessary shopping spree, and that's not going to happen.  I've never had a CSP at any time.  The CSR is my first taste of the Chase Sapphire lineup.

Do you think I'd qualify?  Thanks in advance for your time taken out to read this and any wisdom you can provide.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Double-Dipping CSR/CSP Points... Possible?

@Anonymous wrote:

So my question is formatted similar to many discussions of people wondering if they qualify for CSR's 100k point offer after taking advantage of CSP's 50k point offer, but my situation is reversed.  I skipped the CSP and now have a CSR.   I know I've seen several people say that you cannot double dip like this, but I've seen others say it shouldn't matter.  I know at one point I couldn't take 2 steps without bumping into these discussions, but now that I'm actively looking for them, they've gone Jimmy Hoffa on me.  So I apologize for a worn out topic, even if my situation is reversed from the usual format.

In reading the terms of the promotion on my CSP, quoted below, I see no reason why I wouldn't qualify for the 50k points unless they consider "this card" an umbrella term for the Sapphire family to include both the Reserve and the Preferred.

50,000 Bonus Points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account open date

This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months. You will receive 50,000 bonus points with this bonus offer. To qualify and receive your bonus, you must make Purchases totaling $4,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. ("Purchases" do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.) After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus points to post to your account. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.

I've only had CSR for a couple of weeks and as of right now the CSP shows up under my pre-qualified offer screen (which I understand is still no guarantee of approval), but my plan is to take advantage of the CSR promo and then in 2 1/2-3 months apply for the CSP to take advantage of that offer.  Unfortunately for the sake of instant gratification, I do not spend enough to utilize the $4,000 requirement for EACH card unless I just go on an unneccessary shopping spree, and that's not going to happen.  I've never had a CSP at any time.  The CSR is my first taste of the Chase Sapphire lineup.

Do you think I'd qualify?  Thanks in advance for your time taken out to read this and any wisdom you can provide.

You definitely can get the bonus points from both cards.  It's not even up for question.

As for your chances, I'd say pretty good given the pre approval but you might want to wait a month or so after getting the CSR to apply for the CSP so that you show some history, even if a little.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.

I should have mentioned that I have a Chase Freedom that I've had for quite some time, so I do have a history with Chase.  Still, applying for the card now doesn't do me any good because I don't spend enough to net the points from both cards at the same time.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go for it. Wife and I signed up for both the CSP and the CSR. Will have over 320K combined points once her CSR points hit next statment.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.