Re: Double Dipping

Message 21 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the fees for using credit cards outweigh the points you get at the end of it off. Maybe you're better off buying gold with your CC, sell that gold back, pay off your CC, and accumulate points Smiley Happy

What fees?

You cannot, directly, pay say your Capital One card  by entering your Chase credit card number, so you have to do it some other way.   Some one example would be to get a convenience check from Chase  and use that, similar to a balance transfer, but there are often (although not always) fees for this.  Or, is in Slate, no rewards.   But in theory if you have two cards with 0% APR for BT and no fee, forever, and gave rewards you could do that.

Otherwise you can use things like serve, which has low limits, or Bluebird, where loading with cards would have fees, or other similar bill pay derivatives.  Generally, all these companies want to make money somehow

This.

Almost always this will get flagged as a Cash Advance anyway even if you could find a way to do it, and those fees are usually in the 3% range, identical to balance transfers in the fine print.

I won't debate the financial desirability for doing things as such as this, but simply state that from anecdotal experience (and direct experience having worked on the other side at a lender) Cash Advances are not likely your friend to begin with... and I'd have to be on the ropes financially to ever take one, and if they shut my card down as a result well that was likely the outcome anyway if I couldn't get my poop in a group in short order.

        
Message 22 of 24
TheFate
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

See also:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Which-CC-let-you-use-bill-pay-to-pay-other-creditors/td...

Note DavdSignal's reply (secondy reply).

Yea, I guess it makes sense that it would be considered a balance transfer. Oh well, it was worth asking

Message 23 of 24
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:
I still don't understand how to do it.. How to use a credit card to pay another card.. You can do triple dipping in that case I guess!

you, can't in most circumstances with the exception being,  BT checks that are issued from some banks, but they usually come along with a $5 or 3% minimum BT fee. Also BT's are usually not eligible for rewards or even meeting minimum spend requirements, 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.