Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Pulls for CC's becoming the norm? - Chase, BOA

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Double Pulls for CC's becoming the norm? - Chase, BOA

I don't see much wrong with locking a report to avoid it being looked at. The only time I would consider it "manipulating" is if negative information is on some bureaus and you lock them to avoid it being discovered. The only time it would cross my mind is if I have a lot of inquiries and know the lender is sensitive to that. Experian lenders don't seem to care about inquiries, though.

People asking for late payments and negative accounts to be removed could be considered "manipulating", since the negatives are valid and should stay there.

Message 11 of 29
HYPASS33
Frequent Contributor

When you say or people say scores are in your signature, where do I look to see that? I'm new. lol
Message 12 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

they do have every right to pull 1 2 or 3 reports, with your permission. And you have every right to lock 1, 2, or all 3 reports and still apply for any card you want. This is not an ethical dilemna here. this a financial and business decision on both parties part. unethical would be akin to lying, such as putting bloated income on your app or applying for credit in someone else's name. let's keep the judgement calls to the definition of the words.

Your not understanding what I am saying.

Freezing reports was designed only to deter identity theft. You are therefor gaming/manipulating the system when you use it for any other purpose then to deter identity theft.

It's that simple. It is not illegal, no one is saying you can't do it. This forum does not advocate it or want other members suggesting it as it is being OK to do.

Not trying to be offensive to anyone but it is what it is. If you do this you are risking denial / triple pulled because the lender 90% of the time will think something is shady as to why your only allowing them 1 report. "Gardening" and "I dont want INQs on this report" are not acceptable answers to a lender.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 29
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

so hypothetically, let's say i usually keep all my reports locked because I'm "scared" of identity theft. Then I say to myself, hey I want a BCP. Do I:

1. unlock all my reports then apply?

2. go to myFico, research which report they usually pull in my geography and unlock only that one?

If i do the second one, it's unethicial and I'm going to burn in the fires of hell?

Sorry for being facetious here, but really? does everyone HAVE to use products and services the way they were intended by businesses? I really can't take my tennis sneakers and use them for running?

I am almost certain there's nothing in the T&C of EX, TU, and EQ that says you can only lock because you fear identity theft.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 14 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

so hypothetically, let's say i usually keep all my reports locked because I'm "scared" of identity theft. Then I say to myself, hey I want a BCP. Do I:

2. go to myFico, research which report they usually pull in my geography and unlock only that one?

If i do the second one, it's unethicial and I'm going to burn in the fires of hell?

Sorry for being facetious here, but really? does everyone HAVE to use products and services the way they were intended by businesses? I really can't take my tennis sneakers and use them for running?

I am almost certain there's nothing in the T&C of EX, TU, and EQ that says you can only lock because you fear identity theft.

Yes, this is what you should do. 

We can agree to disagree. No one is saying your gonna burn in hell or whatever. It is unethical and if you cant grasp that you are absolutely welcome to do your own thing and everyone else is as well.

Good lord Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 29
TM82
Regular Contributor

I have my reports locked and its not to try and dictate what reports I want pulled or to try and cover anything up. I actually have identity theft existing on my accounts since a few years ago. At that time it was just fraudulent charges that I was able to dispute off. About 14 months ago I got a hit saying that I applied for a Bill Me Later account through PayPal. When I called it in, I was told that someone had my name, SSN, etc and was applying for an account with an email address out of Australia. It was a pain to get that inquiry removed. Ever since then I have my reports frozen. I thought i was done with that but Earlier this year when I unfroze EQ for a renters insurance policy and had it unfrozen for 10 days I got another hit for an application for a Walmart GE card.

So you can see why I have my reports frozen, it's not to manipulate the system but to protect myself. If I ever want to apply for a new card, I'll unfreeze they report, apply, then re freeze after the approval. If I get a request to unlock another report I will. But I've yet to have that request. So I you think what I'm doing is trying to hide something, that's fine, but I'm just trying to protect my security.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 16 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

I think part of the issue here is the sponsorship of this forum, playing tricks with CRs impacts the value of the whole scoring system, and this is why the "other board" cannot be named here, because they advocate methods that impact the integrity of the report (such things are  only .1% of that board but.....).  Whereas VR/mint etc, impacts only the issuers, so it's OK here!

Message 17 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I have no proof, but my guess is that TU is aggressively trying to recapture market share. About 15 years ago, nobody pulled EX. I remember my first mortgage broker told me the only inquiries he ever saw on EX were for mortgage triple pulls. Then EX lowered their prices and went after lenders aggressively for a few years. Now they are the most common CRA used by the major credit card issuers. EQ dominates the credit union market, but TU has become an "also ran". As more regional banks (that used to use TU) become part of national chains that use EX, TU is losing relevance. I'm guessing that's how CK is able to afford to offer free weekly pulls. I think that's also why we are seeing more EX+TU pulls. It must have gotten a lot cheaper.

Well, it varies!  My Chase double pull was TU/EX, but the two Citi double pulls were EX/EQ.

Message 18 of 29
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

LS2982 said:

"Thats considered to be manipulating the system here and unethical. Can also lead to a triple pull."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since when? Ive never heard of ethical problems with forcing a single pull by locking two. Whether that may risk a tri-pull is another matter. I have no experience in that.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 19 of 29
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

LS2982 said:

"Thats considered to be manipulating the system here and unethical. Can also lead to a triple pull."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since when? Ive never heard of ethical problems with forcing a single pull by locking two. Whether that may risk a tri-pull is another matter. I have no experience in that.

The bottom line is everyone here is free to do as they please but certain things on this forum is not to be suggested as ok or normal. Freezing reports with the intent to block lenders from pulling It is one of them. Ask the mods.

I cant believe im taking this much flack over this, it should be common sense Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.