Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down goes Credit One

tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Down goes Credit One

@Anonymous wrote:

Since I have made some significant gains in my overall credit and have a better understanding of such, Credit One is OFFICALLY coming out of my wallet. Never to be used again.  I think that Credit One served a purpose for me when I needed them, but it is time to punt.  

However, here's the problem.  Because of their month credit card fee(instead of annual) I am being charged $8.25 per month.  If I close the account it, though still showing for ten years, will it have any adverse effect on my scoring?

You can always call and inform them that you're considering closing the account due to the AF.   They will most likely waive it for 6 months; many of us had success with that.   Then you can have a zero balance post and close it at any time before the AF is due to come back.  

In any case, account closures can impact UTIL, but won't affect AAoA for ~10 years, when it falls off CRs.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed it this morning. 

Message 12 of 15
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

Closing it will most likely not hurt your score. It will only impact a little once your overall credit limit is reduced by killing the account. However, since you stayed in good standing with the card, you probably will not see any affect on your score. Credit One knows that its good for its purpose and that its not a longevity card. Be happy to cancel.

Message 13 of 15
Kmon
Established Member

Congrats on the closure one question can you still access your account online? I closed mine also couple days ago by phone they said it was anyway but i can still access my online account was wondering!

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

As of right now, yes.  But then my payment hasn't officially gone through yet.  We'll see once it has. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.