Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading Arrival

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Downgrading Arrival

I called to downgrade my Arrival to the one with no annual fee, which Barclays was more than happy to accomodate.

However, something interesting ensued from small talk with the CSR during the process.  I asked that should I find the $89 fee Arrival beneficial again in the future, would it be a simple process just to change again, like I've done with Amex cards.  The CSR replied that I can't, but recommended that I should just apply for the card again, intimating that I'd get the 40K bonus.

Now, from what I know of Barclays, unless they've changed things, all Barclay cards are imminently churnable, if approved.  In 6 months time, I could apply for the 40K Arrival again.  During recon, I can use the rationale that my spending has changed to make the card useful again and applied because I'm unable to PC from my current no fee Arrival.

In 6 months, if there's nothing more compelling and assuming the 40K bonus still exists, I'll apply and try again.  Actually, I'm 99% certain this will work, since I've done this with the US Air card 3 times and couting.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Re: Downgrading Arrival

I am thinking to close my no AF arrival as soon as it hits 6 mons mark.

Message 2 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

i called to ask for retention offers and they had none, other than being eligible to PC to no-af version. Not exactly a retention offer though. Got an auto CLI but was pretty pointless since I barely use the card, so I closed the account. Maybe I'll reapply sometime end of this year or early next year and hopefully be able to churn the sign-up bonus again.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

enharu wrote:

i called to ask for retention offers and they had none, other than being eligible to PC to no-af version. Not exactly a retention offer though. Got an auto CLI but was pretty pointless since I barely use the card, so I closed the account. Maybe I'll reapply sometime end of this year or early next year and hopefully be able to churn the sign-up bonus again.

Ah, they offered me a 1,000 miles for the first charge on the PC to the no fee one.  

This card has such limited value for me and will never be used.  Perhaps, I'll try again for the 40K bonus, but my friend didn't receive a 2nd bonus.  If I can't get the bonus again, I will close it too, or maybe try for the US Air one final time.

Message 4 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Ah, they offered me a 1,000 miles for the first charge on the PC to the no fee one.  

This card has such limited value for me and will never be used.  Perhaps, I'll try again for the 40K bonus, but my friend didn't receive a 2nd bonus.  If I can't get the bonus again, I will close it too, or maybe try for the US Air one final time.

is it 6 or 8 months to be eligible for AF again?

They didn't offer me anything other than PC to no-AF version. Wouldn't even waive the AF for the Arrival card.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:

is it 6 or 8 months to be eligible for AF again?

They didn't offer me anything other than PC to no-AF version. Wouldn't even waive the AF for the Arrival card.

6 months to be safe.  If it's anything like the US Air, you'll receive the sign-up bonus again.

Message 6 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

they seem to be really stingy with retention offers for the Arrival.

If everything goes well I may just go for the US Air end of this year / early next year instead.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.