Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downside To Disputes?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Downside To Disputes?

Some of you may have seen a thread I made about my new leasing company pulling TU, which brought to my attention a few errors in reporting.

One of them was a negative AU account (got this fixed in 1 day!) and the others are just inaccurate CLs.  Since the dispute process is so simple, I'm considering filing disputes so that they will fix my CLs.  Can anything negative come of this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Downside To Disputes?

@Anonymous wrote:

Some of you may have seen a thread I made about my new leasing company pulling TU, which brought to my attention a few errors in reporting.

One of them was a negative AU account (got this fixed in 1 day!) and the others are just inaccurate CLs.  Since the dispute process is so simple, I'm considering filing disputes so that they will fix my CLs.  Can anything negative come of this? 

Sadly, yes... Positive tradelines could end up being removed altogether. Really. It has happened. Just ask my TU report where my oldest active (still active, but unreported on TU) tradeline is... The answer, "We deleted it when you disputed the original loan amount (numbers were transposed)."   And, I am not nearly the only person that this has happened to. Smiley Sad

As oposed to disputing, I'd suggest that you contact your lenders and ask them to update their reporting, OR just wait for the updates to happen as they'd normally get reported, if (for example) you just recently got CLIs.

Message 2 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Be careful on how you dispute these iems. It's best to dispute one at a time and let the dispute play out completely before moving to the next. If you bunch all of them together they may consider your disputes frivolous and refuse to investigate (EX is famous for this).

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sadly, yes... Positive tradelines could end up being removed altogether. Really. It has happened. Just ask my TU report where my oldest active (still active, but unreported on TU) tradeline is... The answer, "We deleted it when you disputed the original loan amount (numbers were transposed)."   And, I am not nearly the only person that this has happened to. Smiley Sad

As oposed to disputing, I'd suggest that you contact your lenders and ask them to update their reporting, OR just wait for the updates to happen as they'd normally get reported, if (for example) you just recently got CLIs.

This would probably be the better option ptr.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 6
CS800
Super Contributor

As LS said also ,take it one at a time.

I saw some discrepencies on my EX but im doing one dispute at a time.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'm glad I asked Smiley Happy  Thanks everyone.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.