cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downside to Getting Chase Sapphire, then Canceling After First Year?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Downside to Getting Chase Sapphire, then Canceling After First Year?

There are a few cards out there, like Chase Sapphire, that offer significant sign-up bonuses, plus waive first year's fee.  Assuming I'd be able to spend as much money as required to qualify for the bonus (and assuming I got approved), is there any downside to getting the card and then canceling before the second year?  

And what about repeatedly doing that with other high-reward cards that waive first-year fees? (I have around 6-7 no-fee cards, I'll plan on just keeping to hopefully balance out "average age" criteria in credit score)

Thx in advance,

Jon

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Downside to Getting Chase Sapphire, then Canceling After First Year?

@Anonymous wrote:

There are a few cards out there, like Chase Sapphire, that offer significant sign-up bonuses, plus waive first year's fee.  Assuming I'd be able to spend as much money as required to qualify for the bonus (and assuming I got approved), is there any downside to getting the card and then canceling before the second year?  

And what about repeatedly doing that with other high-reward cards that waive first-year fees? (I have around 6-7 no-fee cards, I'll plan on just keeping to hopefully balance out "average age" criteria in credit score)

Thx in advance,

Jon

Generally it is fine to do once or twice (you could be trying out a card and find the fit wasn't good), but if an issuer determines a pattern of doing this, they may not offer you any more cards and perhaps close the ones you have.

That said, it is much more difficult to do now anyway, with Amex having one bonus per card per lifetime, Citi applying restrictions across a family of cards, and chase making it hard to get a card in the first place with 5/24

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't. It's like somebody who constantly returns items to a store. EVERYTHING is tracked nowadays and it could 'hurt' you down the road with larger purchases requiring financing/checking your credit aka house/car etc
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I wouldn't. It's like somebody who constantly returns items to a store. EVERYTHING is tracked nowadays and it could 'hurt' you down the road with larger purchases requiring financing/checking your credit aka house/car etc

Well, everyone has to evaluate the risk reward, but doing it once with a big bonus card makes sense to me.   Especially with banks that you can do without, such as CapOne Venture and Barclays Arrival +

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

PC'ing to a no-fee card (Freedom or Freedom Unlimited) might be a better option than cancelling the card.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it be possible to "PC" from an existing no-fee (unused) Chase card to the Chase Sapphire?

Message 6 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would it be possible to "PC" from an existing no-fee (unused) Chase card to the Chase Sapphire?

Yes, but then you miss out on the sign up bonus.

If I ever get a CSP or CSR (15/24 now, 5/24 at Oct 2017 Smiley Sad ), and if I ever get my Slate card with the 4.99% APR Forever rate paid off, I will seriously consider PC'ing the Slate to the CSP or CSR, depending on which I will keep, because the Slate is from 2001. After the Slate gets paid off, it won't be used much, so PCing that 2001 open date into a card I will use for a long time, after getting a sign up bonus on a similar CSP or CSR, seems like it makes sense to me.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I've considered using it and dumping it..if I get one.

I'm still trying to figure out how it would benefit me though. Traveling Air France the points really don't save me anything. I'll look at some of the other airline partners to see if having the card is worth it. Right now I'm not seeing it. 75,000 URs for one way plus another $300 or more dollars doesn't encourage an app.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.