Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreaded Barclays 6th month AR.....

tag
GoRavens
Established Member

Re: Dreaded Barclays 6th month AR.....

I opened my Extra Points card in October.  Since then, I've spent $1311.45 and earned the $400 bonus + $27 from regular earn rate/NFL.com/Rewards Boost.  That's an effective earn rate of 33%.  I've also had 2 (possibly 3) HPs since October.  Should I expect my account to be closed at 6 mo.?

Message 31 of 42
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@jordanmedical wrote:

Mine is April 16th and I'm scared.

I have been reducing my util quickly due to a mortgage app but it's been high for a few months. I opened 3 accounts since Barclay.

I have purposely kept my balance up on theirs so they dont cld me during the mortgage process, odd that I'm scared to pay it down too quickly. Have made sure to use it and make large payments.

Most of my balance is 0% til October.

I was approved via phone and they sp me at least monthly.

Only one of my cards has a higher credit limit than my US Air card (only by $100), so I am afraid of Barclays closing my account or reducing my CL.  I opened this account last May and have not had a CLI.  I've opened 12 accounts since then and have a lot of inquiries. I financed a car right after I got this card and I financed another car a month ago, so that doesn't help my inquiries.  So far, nothing from them.  I use the card heavily and make 2 - 3 payments each month.  My plan is to wait until it's 2 years old, when all of these inquiries are over a year old and try for a CLI.  I don't have a problem with utilization as I typically keep it around 5%.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 32 of 42
FrugalRican
Blogger

You guys worry way too much about this stuff.

I have a Barclays in its 5th month. I actually applied for financing for a car and used the Barclays for DP on it.

If at Month 6, they want to AA and shut it down, oh well, I have other cards to supplant it, but I'm not going to worry about something I can't control.

I might miss the $7,500 theoretically speaking, but with my utilization at "0" each month, not really.

Some things just aren't worth worrying about, this is one of them.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 33 of 42
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I don't understand why people who plan on further apping get Barclay products. Seems like a lot of stress that could be avoided.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 42
dodgeball
Established Contributor

No stress, I have opened a ton of new accounts since I opened barclays and in fact just got a CLI with them just a few days ago. There aware of all my new accounts

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 35 of 42
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Barclay gave me a an auto-cli at 6 months from 1k to 2.2k.

I've since added several thousand in CL.  If at my 1 year mark they give me AA, then no biggie. The card has no AF and my util would not be affected.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 36 of 42
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

I don't understand why people who plan on further apping get Barclay products. Seems like a lot of stress that could be avoided.

+1 - 

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 37 of 42
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 38 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Well I guess I get no luv and no AA.

Yesterday was was 6th statement close and no changes.

I'm happy!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 39 of 42
myjourney
Super Contributor

You worried for nothing and the CLI still might come thur LS

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.