Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop QS1 for Citi Dc?

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Drop QS1 for Citi Dc?

@thummel wrote:
My first card from capital one was a platnium that I converted to a qs1. Currently has a 2750 limit on it and I really don't use it often. Trying to decide if I should lose it and go for something else like the double cash. It was my first card so it's my oldest trade line. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons. I do have a discover it that I use from time to time. Will be using next month for gas. Any thoughts appreciated.

If you are not using the quicksilver that much, than may not see that much advantage in DC.  If adding everyday spend to other card (as in my case, Amex, Sallie Mae, ESPECIALLY AVIATOR for miles, AARP), getting a separate card can dilute the rewards.  

A few few of us had medical procedures coming up, so apped for citi diamond preferred.  Latest Intel says can be upgrade PRIOR to 21 months 0%, others like the perks that actually come with the card.  If needed, I will upgrade.  Otherwise, I will continue my everyday spend on other cards, and nix the quicksilver.  This is my own personal experience with capital one. 

Another aspect, my sis only likes to use one credit card, so only uses Discover, otherwise debit.  General public usually does not try to spread every day spend across multiple cards.

Signature needs updating
Message 11 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@thummel wrote:
My first card from capital one was aplatnium that I converted to aqs1. Currently has a 2750 limit on it and I really don't use it often. Trying to decide if I should lose it and go for something else like the double cash. It was my first card so it's my oldest trade line. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons. I do have a discover it that I use from time to time. Will be using next month for gas. Any thoughts appreciated.

If you are not using the quicksilver that much, than may not see that much advantage in DC.  If adding everyday spend to other card (as in my case, Amex, Sallie Mae, ESPECIALLY AVIATOR for miles, AARP), getting a separate card can dilute the rewards.  

A few few of us had medical procedures coming up, so apped for citi diamond preferred.  Latest Intel says can be upgrade PRIOR to 21 months 0%, others like the perks that actually come with the card.  If needed, I will upgrade.  Otherwise, I will continue my everyday spend on other cards, and nix the quicksilver.  This is my own personal experience with capital one. 

Another aspect, my sis only likes to use one credit card, so only uses Discover, otherwise debit.  General public usually does not try to spread every day spend across multiple cards.

+1

All excellent points, especially the part about rewards dilution. 

I can also personally relate to having family that is totally bewildered why anybody would ever need more than two or three major credit cards.  To them, cards are to pay the cashier when you're in line, or occasionally carry a balance if you can't afford to PIF.  When I mention having a card just for groceries and department stores (BCP), I get looks of true confusion from most people in my own family.  That's OK, though... I can show them each of my cards and tell them how much money I get paid each month for using it to pay for stuff I had to buy anyway.   Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 20
thummel
Established Contributor

Thanks for the good advice! I might just look into something from citi for now and make a decision here soon. I hope my scores and inquiries isn't too much of an issue. All my scores are around 750 and I have 7 inq on exp 2 on tu And eq. And I do have a discover that I'm going to definitely be using for gas next month as I do spend quite a bit on gas. The limit is only 3500 and they won't budge but I don't use it very often so that might explain it.
Message 13 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@thummel wrote:
My first card from capital one was a platnium that I converted to a qs1. Currently has a 2750 limit on it and I really don't use it often. Trying to decide if I should lose it and go for something else like the double cash. It was my first card so it's my oldest trade line. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons. I do have a discover it that I use from time to time. Will be using next month for gas. Any thoughts appreciated.

I have both and I much prefer the Quicksilver to the Citi DC; I think you should keep it.

Reasons why I think Quicksilver is better:

1. better starting credit limits

2. auto CLI's (Citi has none)

3. soft pull luv button CLI's (as opposed to Citi DC... in 11 months there's been no auto CLI and only HP link)

4. availability of zero balance or zero interest balance transfers (Citi has had none since the first month)

5. lower cash advance fee

6. cash back is immediate with QS; with Citi DC you only get it when statement hits, and there's 1 month delay on first half and 2 month delay on 2nd half

7. QS has no threshold, you can redeem your cash back whenever you feel like it, Citi makes you wait until  you've got $25 worth

My advice: use and enjoy your Quicksilver.

@1.  Not true, they denied me for second card (without hard pulls, like Amex, new internal score) when later approved for Chase AARP VS @5800.  It comes down to which bank likes you better.

2.  Citi does do auto cli after 6 months, just like cap one.

4.  I have many options with diamond preferred that do not coincide with what you have going on with citi.  It's all a definite YYMV thing.  Citi likes me, because they have been wooing me with pre select offers for months.  (Still have the diamond preferred pre select at 19.99).

Cap One is weird right now.  No telling when a bank will be weird.  But if you have the QS1, you are pigeon holed with cap one.  My recent experiences were not good.

A.  Can not lower apr for cap one card, can with citi. 

B.  Expect a hard pull cli to start the limit, citi will generally match your current limits (asked for 5k).  Same as triple pull for quicksilver. 

C. If traveling abroad, I actually have several cards with no FTF.  this includes my low limit CU card.

In essence, some people really love cap one, but they are not that great.  Recent problems, folks applied for many cards with high limits (watch for this, they are tightening up, just like Chase did, don't expect that 10k Venture any more) in order to combine.  OOPS, any problem with cap one ever, combine not allowed.  If it is over what they would give you for certain level of income, combine not allowed.  The EO has lost ability to adjust things like they could before (just like Chase can not override a denial from the 5:24 rule any more).

If you have no other card with lack of FTF, then can sock drawer card until need to travel abroad.  In response to this post, OP said they were hardly, if ever, using card.  If they will not grow with you (unlike citi), then let it go, or sit in drawer.  1% combined with 5% is greater than 1.5%.

Signature needs updating
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would put a small recurring charge and set it to auto pay every month, until you feel you are happy with your credit score to get the cards/loans that you would want out of life, the annual fee price is a small price to pay, and you maybe able to get them to waive it once in a while.

Message 15 of 20
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@thummel wrote:
Thanks for the good advice! I might just look into something from citi for now and make a decision here soon. I hope my scores and inquiries isn't too much of an issue. All my scores are around 750 and I have 7 inq on exp 2 on tu And eq. And I do have a discover that I'm going to definitely be using for gas next month as I do spend quite a bit on gas. The limit is only 3500 and they won't budge but I don't use it very often so that might explain it.

You said you are 20?  Discover gives me 500 every 90 days like clock work, but if you are under 21, I have heard that clock slows way down.  However, it's a great limit.  Yes, consider another product from citi, to break the ice.  They like at least 1.5 years history, or close to it.  Your inquiries and scores are fine, almost exact to mine when I applied.

Signature needs updating
Message 16 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@thummel wrote:
It was my first card so it's my oldest trade line. Just trying to weigh the pros and cons.

See the Closing Credit Cards thread linked in the Helpful Threads sticky in this subforum.  Also, run the numbers for your spend and compare.  How many $ is 0.5% for your spend?  Probably not much unless you have a massive amount of spend that would go from one card to the other.

You'll incur a hard pull and lower your AAoA with a new account.  See if you can convert the QS1.

@thummel wrote:
The limit is only 3500 and they won't budge but I don't use it very often so that might explain it.

Usage plays a small part, if any.  Your credit profile and income determine the limits that you qualify for.

Message 17 of 20
taxi818
Super Contributor

I would not drop. I would keep them both. As i did. I had the Qs1 a couple years ago and it was upgraded twice. so that was nice. The Double cash is ok as well. The Difference for me are the limits. Quicksilver 10k. Double Cash 2k. I barely use the Either as the Discover is giving 10% with apple pay and doulbe cash on that making it 20% cash back so they are both SDed at the moment. in the future for me at least its not either or. its this now that later. Since my spend is not a million a month. the .5 of a % is not significant. So say i spend $300 this month. I would get $6 on DC and $4.50 on the double cash. not enough to be concerned. Interest rate is same on both. The Double cash does win as im still on prmo no interest for 15 month rate.

Message 18 of 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I would try to pc venture one to QS. The soft pull on capital one is every 90 days not 180. I have both. I also obtained both around the same time. Citi DC sits at 3K.  I've had multiple cli on Cap one. In 6 months my QS will be over 40k my DC will still be at 3k. Lol...which one you think I'll use the most?  I just got another QS and Venture less than two weeks ago. Cap one hasn't shown me their tightening up as yet.

You may also have a few other options as well. Both USAA and Navy FCU offer cards that give 1.5% and allow you to credit back your account at any amount. I'd pick either over citi bank.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would keep the QS1 if you can (a) convert to a QS or (b) get CapOne to waive the AF. Otherwise, I would just go DC.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.