New Contributor
FantumGrey

Dual Citi Forward Dilemma!

Last Wednesday, I applied for the Citi Forward card online and ran into an internet problem in the middle of it, so I did a quick reboot and tried again and was approved. Today, I open my mail and have not one, but two envelopes from Citi with two separate cards/accounts with identical terms/CL. I don't really need two Citi Forward cards as I also have a Citi mtvU, but I don't quite know what to do with the extra card since I figure I have probably taken a double credit hit for it.

My thoughts were that I could: a) cancel it, b) keep it open to see if I can get the bonus opening points for both cards and then do a product change somewhere on down the line, or c) keep it in ye olde sockdrawer without activation.

At the same time, I was also applying for a Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards card and am now afraid that if I get approved (got that stupid 30 day message they love to give out) I'll end up with a double hit/two cards for that account as well.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on what to do about this?

Starting Score: TU: 682, EQ: 653 (2/22/2012)
Current Score: TU: 682, EQ: 653
Goal Score: TU: 750, EQ: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Wallet: Citi Forward - $11.9k/$11.4k, Citi mtvU - $11k, Discover More - $11k, Cap One - $7,300/$1,450/$550, Chase Freedom - $6k, Chase AGR - $1,200
Regular Contributor
RadioRob

Re: Dual Citi Forward Dilemma!

Use both for a bit...  get the rewards, etc.  Then see if you can get them to consolidate the two into a single card with a higher CL.   At least that was my first inclination anyway.  :smileyhappy:
New Contributor
FantumGrey

Ah... I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Starting Score: TU: 682, EQ: 653 (2/22/2012)
Current Score: TU: 682, EQ: 653
Goal Score: TU: 750, EQ: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Wallet: Citi Forward - $11.9k/$11.4k, Citi mtvU - $11k, Discover More - $11k, Cap One - $7,300/$1,450/$550, Chase Freedom - $6k, Chase AGR - $1,200
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

[ Edited ]
If you only had two approvals and cards in hand I would say forge on. With another app or two with a 30 day message (probably a "NO" ) I would say tread carefully. You are probably going to be OK with the two you have the plastic for. I would use them both; of course you will get the new account stuff for both cards. Wait until the new accounts have aged a bit (6 months to a year) then merge them down. I would not do any further app'ing until you know exactly what has hit your CBR as a result of this mess.
Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-30-2009 05:25 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}