Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb question sorry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dumb question sorry

Ok I have a bank of America cash rewards 123 card with a 1500 limit I use it a lot close to the limit and pay it off every month and do the same thing every month but this isn't looking good on my credit what am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Re: Dumb question sorry

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok I have a bank of America cash rewards 123 card with a 1500 limit I use it a lot close to the limit and pay it off every month and do the same thing every month but this isn't looking good on my credit what am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance

you say you pay in full every month right? do you PIF on the due date or before the statement close date?

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay a couple days before the bills is due every month on the 12th

Message 3 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pay In Full before the statement cuts, then it reports zero on your credit reports. Letting the card report over 90% of its limit is maxing it out and is a sign that aren't using your credit wisely. 

If you plan on doing the same every month, you should look into getting a charge card, for example AMEX Zync with good credit you get No Preset Limit, and it grows with you. You do have a limit but its not reported, so you can use the card as much as your income allows, and pay it off every month. If it reports it doesn't matter its not counted in your utilization, because it has to be paid off every month. 

Welcome to the Forums. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 10
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

it doesn't matter as long as you pay it on time each month... if you decide to apply for new credit pay it in full before the statement closes so it reports a zero balance for the highest possible fico score

hope that help

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem is that you're paying by the due date, but since the statement balance reports to the CRAs, it looks like you're maxed out. Unfortunately, FICO doesn't distinguish between a CC that has a high balance with a small pmt paying on it monthly, and when you charge up the CC and PIF each  month.

That's why many people here PIF their stmt BEFORE it cuts. This would end up being a few weeks before your due date. So, if your stmt cuts on the 15th, let's say. Then you go online and pay the balance on the 13th or 14th, and be sure not to use the card until after the 15th. Then when your statement cuts, the bal w/be zero, and that will be reported to the CRAs.

It may not make a lot of sense, but that's the way FICO works. If you do that, and  your overall CR is in good shape (no baddies, lates, etc.), then you would probably be able to CLI. If you're going to charge and PIF $1500 a month, ideallly, you want your CL to be around $10 to 15000. That way, when your statement cuts WITH the balance of $1500, it's only around 10% of your total CL. That won't have nearly the effect on your FICO as it does now. You may not get $10k from $1500, but that would be the eventual goal.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

ItIt's says my statement close date is the 15 th so it closes three days after its due if my balance was at zero on te 15 iwouldjust have to make it at zero on oct 15th again even though I use it all month it would report zero and help my score

Message 7 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ItIt's says my statement close date is the 15 th so it closes three days after its due if my balance was at zero on te 15 iwouldjust have to make it at zero on oct 15th again even though I use it all month it would report zero and help my score

pay it down to zero on the 13th or 14th, and then it will report zero to the Credit Reports. This is one of the reason people carry more than one card, so they can switch to another card the day or two before there statement closes.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok this will help thank you for all the help

Message 9 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

You need a higher credit limit to lower reported utilization ... maybe to add an extra card or two. Looking maxed out is BAD!!!
Best of luck:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.