Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dump the CC?

tag
Amoray42
Established Member

Dump the CC?

My wife has a high balance ($16k) on one CC, which has been fixed at 0% promotional, but will bump up to 5.9% next month.  This card is at 50% utilization, but overall her CC utilization is less than 10%.  Cap One just sent her a letter stating that due to "extraordinary changes in the economic environment" her purchase rate is going to jump to prime plus 10.65%, which is almost 3 times what we expected when the promotional rate ends.  Her options are close the account and lock in the 5.9% until PIF or eat the extra interest charges.  CapOne is "graciously" giving her a month to decide.

The question is: should we opt out of the card and lock in the 5.9% until paid off (thereby losing CL) or bite the bullet and pay the card off at the higher interest rate.  She thinks she can pay off the principal in about 6 months.  She wants to keep the card.  I say dump it and replace it with a better CC company.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

edit: Hi, Amoray, I hope you don't mind, but I bumped your font size up one. My poor 54-year-old eyes couldn't read your post. Smiley Sad I didn't change anything else.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-08-2009 07:17 AM
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Dump the CC?

I say keep the card. Either BT the balance to another card, or eat the interest and get it paid off.

In these days, no one should be worrying about APR's once their balance is $0. Hang onto that CL --does she really have a $32,000 Cap One card??? --and treat the card as if it were a sluggish debit card. Use it for gas or something that she would have to buy anyway, and pay it off completely every month, or even every week.

And really, she needs to get in the habit of paying off CC's every month anyway, with the possible exception being very low or 0% APR BT's or initial purchases. Even with these, you should have the money in the bank to cover them, as you have found. I divided the balance of my BT by the number of months that the 0% promo lasted and religiously paid it down by that figure. Some companies will even impose the full period's interest if you don't PIF by the time the promo is up!

The interest rate is irrelevant if you don't carry balances. But no way would I walk away from a $30K+ CL.

Holy cats, if nothing else, we need her to keep it just to know that there really are high-limit Cap One cards! Smiley Very Happy
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-08-2009 07:29 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Obviously with her UTL she has plenty of credit available elsewhere , do why not BT it and pay it in the same six months and get the added good will of paying off a sizable BT in a short time and also keep the nice CL from CAP , even though we all hate them.

Let us know what you decide,

CI

Message 2 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I say keep the card. Either BT the balance to another card, or eat the interest and get it paid off.

In these days, no one should be worrying about APR's once their balance is $0. Hang onto that CL --does she really have a $32,000 Cap One card??? --and treat the card as if it were a sluggish debit card. Use it for gas or something that she would have to buy anyway, and pay it off completely every month, or even every week.

And really, she needs to get in the habit of paying off CC's every month anyway, with the possible exception being very low or 0% APR BT's or initial purchases. Even with these, you should have the money in the bank to cover them, as you have found. I divided the balance of my BT by the number of months that the 0% promo lasted and religiously paid it down by that figure. Some companies will even impose the full period's interest if you don't PIF by the time the promo is up!

The interest rate is irrelevant if you don't carry balances. But no way would I walk away from a $30K+ CL.

Holy cats, if nothing else, we need her to keep it just to know that there really are high-limit Cap One cards! Smiley Very Happy
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-08-2009 07:29 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the 16K is at 5.9 but she really doesn't have the 5.9 card anymore. If she has only 50% on this card and only 10% overall, she can get better than a 17% card anytime though I doubt she will land a 32K CL. I'd have to pay off the balance and put the card in a sock drawer for the simple reason that Cap One targeted her because they think they got a exceptional money source in her and are using her to fix the problems Cap 1 created.
Message 4 of 7
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Since her $16k balance represents only 10% utilization I will assume she has other high limit cards likely from good companies. Unless there is a reason your wife really likes this card (good rewards?) I would close it and save some $$. 

Paying of the card in 6 months at 5.9% with take~$2700/month with total interest charges of ~$275.

That same balance at say 16% will take ~$2800/month with total interest charges of ~$750.

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 5 of 7
Amoray42
Established Member

Thanks for all the great responses.  I think we will follow the majority, as expressed by Haulingupthescore's response.  We will pay off the card and eat the interest or BT to a

BOA card she has (which is offering 0% for 6 months but a 3% transaction - may not be worth it).  In answer to the question, I checked her statement and, yes she has high CL on her CapOne.  It is actually $30k (My CapOne card only has a $15k CL and I make twice what she does - go figure).

Thanks for the advice.  Her idea wins, so I owe her a dinner out (which she would have gotten anyway).

Message 6 of 7
oracles
Valued Contributor

Hi Amoray

Also just to add, I would call up BofA and ask them to please cap the BT fee.

I have done this before with them and they have graciously done it.

You never know unless you ask.

Therefore it may not be so bad after all if you get them to cap the fee

Hope his helps and keep us updated

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.