Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumped Capital One today

tag
mindacid
Valued Member

Dumped Capital One today

I closed my Capital One No Hassles Rewards MC today.  I opened the account in May of 2011 with an initial CL of $500.  After 5 statements I received an auto CLI to $750.  And there it got stuck while all my other credit cards gradually but steadily raised my CLs.  My annual fee was going to be due in the next statement, so I just paid the balance yesterday and closed it this morning.   Not surprisingly, there was no transfer to a retention department or anything like that.  The automated system summarily closed it for me in about 30 seconds. 

It's constantly asked in these forums whether Capital One is a prime or sub-prime credit card company.  I propose that it should be viewed from a reverse angle.  I think Capital One has prime customers and sub-prime customers, and a set of products and policies aligned to each of the two groups.  I suspect that because of my credit scores and history at the time I applied I unfortunately got put in the sub-prime category and accordingly was issued a card with a fixed top-end CL.   Anyway, it felt good to close it out.  My next higher Visa and MC CLs are $3,000, $5,000 and $6,500, so I won't be missing Capital One.  I probably won't be applying for any more of their products either.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Dumped Capital One today

@mindacid wrote:

It's constantly asked in these forums whether Capital One is a prime or sub-prime credit card company.  I propose that it should be viewed from a reverse angle.  I think Capital One has prime customers and sub-prime customers, and a set of products and policies aligned to each of the two groups.  

+1.    And they expect you to apply for the prime card when you qualify, apparently they won't product change to a different group.

Message 2 of 3
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Dumped Capital One today

@mindacid wrote:

I closed my Capital One No Hassles Rewards MC today.  I opened the account in May of 2011 with an initial CL of $500.  After 5 statements I received an auto CLI to $750.  And there it got stuck while all my other credit cards gradually but steadily raised my CLs.  My annual fee was going to be due in the next statement, so I just paid the balance yesterday and closed it this morning.   Not surprisingly, there was no transfer to a retention department or anything like that.  The automated system summarily closed it for me in about 30 seconds. 

It's constantly asked in these forums whether Capital One is a prime or sub-prime credit card company.  I propose that it should be viewed from a reverse angle.  I think Capital One has prime customers and sub-prime customers, and a set of products and policies aligned to each of the two groups.  I suspect that because of my credit scores and history at the time I applied I unfortunately got put in the sub-prime category and accordingly was issued a card with a fixed top-end CL.   Anyway, it felt good to close it out.  My next higher Visa and MC CLs are $3,000, $5,000 and $6,500, so I won't be missing Capital One.  I probably won't be applying for any more of their products either.

Good for you mindacid!!! I can't WAIT until December when I can do the same thing!!! After I close both my Captial One cards, like you, I do not plan on applying for anymore of their products.  Their customer service is HORRIBLE, and their products do not grow with you.  It's just not worth the hassle!  I am thankful that they provided me the opportunity to improve my credit, but they definately do not do much more than that.

Slowly building....
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.