Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumping rebuilder cards

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Dumping rebuilder cards

Evening people. Tomorrow I'm going to use $1,500 of my QS card to finish paying off my car (AMEEEEENNNN). My balance is zero on all other cards. So my utilization will go out of the desired 10% for a week or so. After I pay down my card to optimal utilization ill have both the credit one and Merrick cards that I'm looking to getting rid of. Is that a smart thing to do? The Merrick is going to auto CLI anytime now to $1,000. I've had the credit one for almost 2 years now and the Merrick coming up on 5-6 months. They both have high AF's ($75+). I read on here that people have successfully negotiated the AF's to 0. If I'm able to do that should I just keep them? If they don't budge should I cancel? 

If there's any other info needed please let me know. Thanks as always. 

PS the card will not be utilized as a cash advance. It'll be used as a normal purchase. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Dumping rebuilder cards

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

Evening people. Tomorrow I'm going to use $1,500 of my QS card to finish paying off my car (AMEEEEENNNN). My balance is zero on all other cards. So my utilization will go out of the desired 10% for a week or so. After I pay down my card to optimal utilization ill have both the credit one and Merrick cards that I'm looking to getting rid of. Is that a smart thing to do? The Merrick is going to auto CLI anytime now to $1,000. I've had the credit one for almost 2 years now and the Merrick coming up on 5-6 months. They both have high AF's ($75+). I read on here that people have successfully negotiated the AF's to 0. If I'm able to do that should I just keep them? If they don't budge should I cancel? 

If there's any other info needed please let me know. Thanks as always. 

PS the card will not be utilized as a cash advance. It'll be used as a normal purchase. 

I would ask for them to take AF's off first and then decide to keep them or not.

It will hurt util% purposes so make sure your cards report less then 10% without those cards in your wallet 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 3
MT936
Established Contributor

Re: Dumping rebuilder cards

try to negoitiate it to a no AF card if they won't do it then close them because it is better to do now rather than later. The closed card will remain a positive trade line on your credit report for 10 years.

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.