Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate charges on Amex account

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Duplicate charges on Amex account

I have noticed that certain stations hold up to $100 on my Amex while the same station will hold $50 on my Visa.

The pending charges will drop off with 72 hours, I wouldn't worry.
Message 11 of 19
RnJ
Contributor

Really?  I've never seen it except for the Amex charges today.  I know that a few gas stations in our area do the hold charges, but I have never seen our favorite station do so, at least not that I can see on debit cards, or any of our credit card pending charges.

Message 12 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It's very common where I live, in So Ca. Unless you go in and actually say how much you want charged they will hold a preset amount when you pay at the pump.
Message 13 of 19
RnJ
Contributor

Thanks, Lexie, and that's where I blame myself - since I always stress to hubby to pay at the pump for the card rewards, LOL.

Message 14 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 15 of 19
enharu
Super Contributor

Every gas station I have been does put a pending charge on the card whenever I get gas. The pending charge does not get included into your statement balance though, only posted transactions will. In most cases, it really wouldn't affect anything, unless you have a low fixed CL and the merchant has an authorization charge for a large amount for a long period of time, where it will then affect you from actually using the card.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 19
RnJ
Contributor

That's just it, I have never seen hold charges, either in pending or posted transactions - til today and only used the Amex for the first time on a gas purchase.  I'm not at all worried about the CL, it won't affect it, but I hope they don't plan on holding it for too long, I'm so used to paying off as soon as charges post. 

Message 17 of 19
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

I have to say this is why I'm so relieved to have plenty of credit lines these days. I used to hate traveling and these types of holds on my debit cards. Hotels are the worst. When they not only authorize an extra hundred or two but then mes up and double authorize. Nothing like having your entire bank balance on hold while you are out of town! Or worse yet, having nsfs because so much of your money was temporarily tied up. Life is much easier having the cushions of credit!

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 18 of 19
RnJ
Contributor

Yep, the double-charges from hotels are rediculous and they always have to be called out on!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.