Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duration of Amex Blacklist?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Duration of Amex Blacklist?

During my college years, I had defaulted on an Amex green card for about $600. This was around 20 years ago in the late 80s. Now, fast forward to today, if I'm added as an authorized user on another person's Amex card, will I still be on that blacklist? Is there any way I can ascertain whether or not if I am? The reason I'd like to know prior to applying is because the person adding me is my business partner. I'd rather be spared a decline and having to explain this regrettable behavior during my university days over 20 years ago.

Thanks for any insights.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Duration of Amex Blacklist?

@Anonymous wrote:

During my college years, I had defaulted on an Amex green card for about $600. This was around 20 years ago in the late 80s. Now, fast forward to today, if I'm added as an authorized user on another person's Amex card, will I still be on that blacklist? Is there any way I can ascertain whether or not if I am? The reason I'd like to know prior to applying is because the person adding me is my business partner. I'd rather be spared a decline and having to explain this regrettable behavior during my university days over 20 years ago.

Thanks for any insights.

unfortunately Amex isn't very forgiving so once you're on their blacklist, you're done for life. But you can still be added as an AU, you just can't apply yourself.

Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forums moragablue...  You can search the forum in the upper right for "Amex blacklist" for more information but the following is my experience...

I defaulted on my Amex back in 98 for $500 and haven't considered applying since - I've heard Amex has the memory of an elephant and you'll most likely always be remembered by them as "that guy" that pimped them.  In January I applied for the Zync charge card and was instantly approved to my disbelief - when the card came in the mail it had a member since date of "11" on it - which I thought was cool, since I must have slipped through the cracks but after logging into my account it showed a member since date of "95".  So needless to say I was amazed and excited about adding a 16 year old tradeline to my credit report.  So excited that I applied for another Amex card 2 weeks ago and was instantly approved again (2nd 16 year old tradeline).

I tell you this story because I truly believe that the only way to know is to apply - apply online for a personal Zync charge card (supposedly easiest card to get) and see what happens (if you can afford the hard pull on your credit report).  If you get approved for the Zync card, you know that you'll be fine when it comes time for your partner to add you to the business account.  If you get denied, you can call the Amex recon number and ask why - they may offer you the Oasis program to repay your $600 default and get back in good graces.  By applying for a personal account you can keep the "college years" from effecting your current life and hopefully quit worrying about this.

The only other option is to find someone (wife/husband/friend) willing to add you on their personal Amex account as an AU to see what happens.  Ask them to add you but don't actually give you the card - they can destroy it once it comes in the mail and take you back off the account in a month or so... 

The morale of the story is that you never truly know unless you apply... 

Message 3 of 44
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

unfortunately Amex isn't very forgiving so once you're on their blacklist, you're done for life. But you can still be added as an AU, you just can't apply yourself.

Not true.  I was approved for the Blue with the (settled) Amex chargeoff STILL on my CR.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if they're doing the Oasis anymore. If they are then that should be the way to go.

Message 5 of 44
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Normally AMEX does have a long memory and if you are on the blacklist then you also CANNOT be an AU on someone's account.  There have been quite a few success stories though and after such a long period, it's likely you are no longer in their systems.  The successes I've seen have come after long periods such as 15-20 years.

Anyhow, if you want to see if you are on their blacklist, then apply for one of their credit cards on your own.  If they pull your credit, then you are not on the blacklist.  If they deny you without pulling your credit and a reason such as "because of the way you handled previous amex accounts", then it means you are on the blacklist.

And if you are still on their blacklist, you can pay the amount that you owe them in full and wala, you are now off of it.  LOL.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 6 of 44
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I defaulted on Amex back in 2001 but I was always auth on my fathers account... Fast forward to 2007 I filed Ch 13 and Amex called and cancelled my card off my fathers account. Fast forward another year and he had a business charge and I was added to that with no problems... Then one day I was adding a friend to one of the accounts and Amex didn't ask for social or anything and said the card was approved, so I asked to add myself and it was approved instantly also.  I am now auth on all the accounts and it's never been an issue again... They have also never stopped reporting through the years even when I wasn't on the accounts.

I'm pretty sure Amex has stopped blacklisting to be auth, but I am still blacklisted when I apply on my own.

Message 7 of 44
Open123
Super Contributor

So, does being "pre-selected" for cards on their site necessarily mean I'm not on the blacklist?

Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

So, does being "pre-selected" for cards on their site necessarily mean I'm not on the blacklist?

No, their "pre-selected" offer means nothing. They send it to people who meets certain requirements credit wise. If you are on the blacklist, it's best if you wait about 15 years before you apply for their cards.

Message 9 of 44
Open123
Super Contributor

For me, it's been 21 years since the charge off.  I just checked the site, and I've been "pre-selected" for most of their cards.

By the way, I'm the OP, but forgot my password, and needed to create a new screen.

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.