cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dusted off the old AARP card. Bummed it's only 3%.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dusted off the old AARP card. Bummed.

@Callandra wrote:

From the thread title, I thought this thread would be about Chase closing your AARP from non-use. Smiley LOL

I kind of wish I had AARP instead of Freedom..would love 3% back year long on take-out..

I added some clarification cause you're right. It was definitely open to interpretation.

I definitely recommend the AARP card. I was all about it before Q2, so I'm sure I'll be enthused again soon.

On the bright side though, we both should be getting the quarterly bonuses for our Better Balance Rewards cards any day now.

Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dusted off the old AARP card. Bummed it's only 3%.

Ha, I honestly couldn't wait for the restaurant quarter to end. Definitely the least of all my spend. Just use that discover card to buy a new kitchen and eat in. 😉
Message 12 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the USBank Cash+ card and get 5% back at fast food joints like Chick-Fil-a and Chipotle.  Then 2% at sit-down restaurants, or grab the AARP card in those instances. 

Message 13 of 34
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Get the USBank Cash+ card and get 5% back at fast food joints like Chick-Fil-a and Chipotle.  Then 2% at sit-down restaurants, or grab the AARP card in those instances. 

I have thought about the Cash+ because I do eat fast food probably more than I should, but I'm nervous about nerfing. The categories other than fast food do not really excite me, so if they removed it, I'd be stuck with a less useful card.

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I would definitely use my AARP card at sit-down restaurants, but I'm not sure that I spend enough money on fast food to app for a Cash+ for that extra 2%. If I knew with 100% certainty that they won't nerf the card completely, then maybe I'd apply. Their record on that card is pretty terrible though. It also doesn't help that there appears to be no signup bonus at all. Not even a token $50-100.

Message 15 of 34
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

True the Cash+ is still the best for fast food...but they started the slippery slope of nerfs.

I will probably revert to DoubleCash, although Discover's 2% + change for and Double Cashback and Discover Deals is not a bad alternative.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 16 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sure hope they don't nerf it.  I crush that $2000 quarterly offering.  The card is good for $400 cashback+ per year for me. 

I think there is a $100 sign-up bonus.  Not sure when it takes effect.  I haven't receeived mine yet. 

Message 17 of 34
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I received a mail offer from Sallie Mae for an additional 2pts per dollar on restaurants for the next couple of months.
Another 3% option for me to go along with AARP
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 18 of 34
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I'm switching to Sam's Club for my dining...Discover definitely was nice for dining!

I applied for the AARP, but Chase didn't want me.   :-(

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 19 of 34
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

SAMs was a great card, but I hated having to wait for February to cash in
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.