cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dusted off the old AARP card. Bummed it's only 3%.

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Dusted off the old AARP card. Bummed it's only 3%.

I considered Sam's too. But I don't shop there enough to justify the membership fee. I've been once this whole year lol. And I also don't like the whole wait a year for rewards thing.
Message 21 of 34
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@baller4life wrote:
I considered Sam's too. But I don't shop there enough to justify the membership fee. I've been once this whole year lol. And I also don't like the whole wait a year for rewards thing.

I work across the street from a Sam's Club.   I also intend on leaving Costco once AMEX goes away.  So it works well for me.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 22 of 34
baller4life
Super Contributor

It's a good card for sure! 5% gas, 3% dining. Hmmmm...Nah I better not! LMAO
Message 23 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@baller4life wrote:
It's a good card for sure! 5% gas, 3% dining. Hmmmm...Nah I better not! LMAO

I only have a handful of cards, and I was considering applying for a Freedom once my current 0% promo runs out, but after thinking it over a bit the AARP card might actually work better for me!  I'm having a chuckle at the thought of having an AARP membership at 40 years old; then again, it's just around the corner so there's no point in laughing too much Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont need this card....I dont need this card...wooosaaaahhh 😏
Message 25 of 34
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

YES Heavenly we need this card. It'll just have to wait awhile. Right? Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

YES Heavenly we need this card. It'll just have to wait awhile. Right? Smiley Wink

Not that I want to contribute to 'tempting' anybody by discussing this even further Smiley Surprised, but do any of you know right off how generous Chase is said to be with the credit limits on the AARP? (Relative to, for example, a Freedom)

Message 27 of 34
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not that I want to contribute to 'tempting' anybody by discussing this even further Smiley Surprised, but do any of you know right off how generous Chase is said to be with the credit limits on the AARP? (Relative to, for example, a Freedom)

They threw 10k at me last week when I thought I wouldn't get anything

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 28 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is an old data point, but back in November I applied for the Freedom and AARP cards on the same day. They were both instantly approved for $7k. So in that case, they were equally generous with those two cards. Chase has subesquently gotten more and more generous with each approval, so it might depend on if you have any other Chase cards.

Your limits with other cards might come into play too. I doubt they'd give you a limit that is radically smaller than your existing cards.

Message 29 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@woodyman100 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They threw 10k at me last week when I thought I wouldn't get anything

Wow, very nice.  I know some issuers seem to be more 'generous' with their co-branded cards so for me this may very well be a better option than the Freedom.  I know the Freedom has a rotating category for restaurants, but 3% year-around with the AARP would still be twice as good as I'm getting now with the 1.5% QuickSilver.

Something to 'ponder'... Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.