cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDP - 30 purchases in 30 days. My approach.

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: EDP - 30 purchases in 30 days. My approach.

The 30 swipes a month bonus on the EDP is similar to the airline incidentals credits on the PRG and the Platinum.  They're all attempts by Amex to get us to use our cards to purchase things we otherwise would not purchase.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 11 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

The 30 swipes a month bonus on the EDP is similar to the airline incidentals credits on the PRG and the Platinum.  They're all attempts by Amex to get us to use our cards to purchase things we otherwise would not purchase.

Yes. although supporters might categorize it more as an attempt to get you to put purchases (you already make) on Amex rather than another card, but I'm sure it creates extra purchases in many cases.

That said, it's relatively easy to decide if it worth it.    Assuming you can make 15 purchases "naturally", and that you also use Amazon, making 15 50c reloads on Amazon costs relatively little (30c assuming worst case you value MR at 1c and have a 5% amazon card) so even if all spend was in the 1MR category, if you spend $600 a month, spending the extra on Amazon would be worth it.

Message 12 of 16
driftless
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Yes. although supporters might categorize it more as an attempt to get you to put purchases (you already make) on Amex rather than another card, but I'm sure it creates extra purchases in many cases.

That said, it's relatively easy to decide if it worth it.    Assuming you can make 15 purchases "naturally", and that you also use Amazon, making 15 50c reloads on Amazon costs relatively little (30c assuming worst case you value MR at 1c and have a 5% amazon card) so even if all spend was in the 1MR category, if you spend $600 a month, spending the extra on Amazon would be worth it.

In my case it is purchases that would otherwise be going to another card.  I would not do extraordinary things, like purchases inexpensive gift cards, if I fell short of 30 purchases/30 days.  The purpose of my post was to show how, with everyday purchases, it is possible to make 30/30 and not generate swipes.

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I am guessing most people make 30 purchases in a month.  Like on Thursdays I go out to lunch use my card.  Take my daughter for pizza than we get a pretzel and then we hit the grocery store. 4 purchases in one day every week.  

Add in stuff like car insurance bill, mobile phone bill, netflix, hulu, gas, credit check total,  it is pretty hard to not have 30 charges a month.  I think it is just trying to get you use it for all purchases and not just bonus categories. 

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick glance at my phone & SamPay shows an average monthly transaction count of ~70, plus maybe 10 or so physical swipes a month.

Maybe it's spending all my time with a 2 year old - eg lots of snacks, meals & small trinkets bought while on many a errand. Or maybe I just make a freakishly large number of transactions a month hehe
Message 15 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Juat yesterday another neighborhood merchant told me, "no credit cards for purchases under $10."  I suspect most of the folk making 30 purchases a month on their EDP are doing a lot of purchases under $10.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.