Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMV Chip Rollout Schedule

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: EMV Chip Rollout Schedule

@longtimelurker wrote:

Some current state info is at:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...k01SHZvTUMxdUE

and you may want to read the FT Wiki on EMV, at the top of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-available-today-chip-pin-c...

Well, that was useful.  Thank you!

Message 11 of 17
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

Aside from receiving EMV chip upgrades for my AMEX Senior Green and BCE cards, I was able to get one for my Citi Diamond Preferred card.

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 12 of 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

It is sooo amusing...the hype about EMV chips in the US....recently looked at an old German Amex Blue from 2003 and yes this card had chip already ...chip & pin and not chip & signature..LOL
Message 13 of 17
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Does anybody think Chase Freedom will have an EMV chip?

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 14 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:
It is sooo amusing...the hype about EMV chips in the US....recently looked at an old German Amex Blue from 2003 and yes this card had chip already ...chip & pin and not chip & signature..LOL

And even my Penfed "chip&pin" can't have its PIN reset in an ATM.  

One day....

Message 15 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

It's more than hype;  I'm averaging about 3 breaches per year, never from the same source.  It is obviously scanners at gas stations, retailers, and restaurants.  My wife and I both travel enough that there's no pinning it down.  These days no hardware is required; a simple key logger on a retail terminal captures the stripe data and it's off to the races for the ripoff artists. I'm no IT expert, but on most retail terminals I can show a clerk how to get the stripe data in about 30 seconds.

Luckily I always use a credit card, so my bank account isn't at risk.  But it's a pain to deal with, always watching transactions, disputing, waiting for new cards, etc.  And in the end, all of that fraud raises costs which we end up paying for.

Getting the US to a tighter standard is a big deal, and it should have happened long ago.

I want as many of my cards as possible to go to EMV, and once there are EMV ready terminals in use, I will use them exclusively wherever possble.  

Also, it's fun to watch the low-information clerk examine my chipped unicorn, then look over my 5 o'clock shadow and tattoos, then look back at my card again as they try to make sense of what the hell they are looking at.  Heh heh.

Message 16 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think the hype being referred to is the flood of posts that Card X now has EMV and all the people rush to get it and "OMG it is so beautiful etc".   I think we all agree it is needed, but having the cards without the EMV readers does very little. 

Also, during the teething process is seems several people are getting multiple cards (being sent non-chipped versions by mistake then chipped versions added) and duplicate active cards does nothing for security.

But basically us sophisticated Europeans making fun of the the US rubes.  Nothing new there....

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.