Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMV Liability Shift: Your Observations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

EMV Liability Shift: Your Observations

Hello, everyone! With the EMV liability shift in recent memory, I'm starting this thread to ask myFICOers from around the United States to ask which merchants they often frequent have enabled this functionality of their credit card terminals. If you have encountered EMV in the wild since the liability shift, please answer the following questions:

1. Under which merchant category does the merchant fall?
  2. In which state is the merchant located?
  3. Were you surprised that this particular merchant had this functionality enabled? If so, why?

I'll be the first to get this thread going by posting my responses to the aforementioned questions:

1. Restaurants
  2. Pennsylvania
  3. Yes, I was surprised for two reasons: this merchant had not accepted credit cards up to this point in time, and the merchant is a rather small enterprise.

If you have any other information to add, or you have questions for other myFICOers concerning EMV or the liability shift, please feel free to post them in the discussion. This thread can be as amorphous as we desire, as long as it relates back to the subject.

Message 1 of 65
64 REPLIES 64
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Re: EMV Liability Shift: Your Observations

I'm a truck driver so I usually shop in many different states on any given week.

1 Restaurants/small business in general are more proactive in having the EMV than bigger business. There was this Little Cesar pizza on a backroad either in AL or TN, can't recall, that they got the EMV working even before the deadline.

Big Truck Stops branded names, like Pilot, Loves, and TA, don't have it working yet. Same for groceries stores like Publix (at least last time I was on one).

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 2 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm wondering how long before gas stations switch to EMV.  I used a Sheetz gas station yesterday and they have not switched.  I'd think that's where a lot of fraud comes from.  But I'm guessing it's a corporate decision because it's a big expense to change them? 

Message 3 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm wondering how long before gas stations switch to EMV.  I used a Sheetz gas station yesterday and they have not switched.  I'd think that's where a lot of fraud comes from.  But I'm guessing it's a corporate decision because it's a big expense to change them? 

Probably won't see them for awhile.  Gas stations were given an extra 2 years to convert.

Message 4 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Saturday reading material for ya'll (if you haven't read it yet) 

he FBI warns of weaknesses in chip-and-sign credit card systems

Message 5 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The issue I have with "chip & pin" is that the adoption potentially chips away at consumer protections.  To prove charges were made by me, a Merchant/Bank needs to provide a physical slip with my signature authorizing the charge.  If this doesn't match or if it isn't provided, they lose.

What if we adopt a pin, and a thief guesses my pin?  Maybe I used my b'day?  Maybe I had written it down to keep from forgetting?  Maybe it was compromised another way?  So, if a correct pin was entered, for whatever reason, is it now "assumed" I'm liable for the charges?  If the latter is the case, I will either (1) refuse to use a chip & pin, or (2) stop using CCs altogether, if chip & pin becomes the standard.

Even abroad, I have an intense disliking for chip & pin, and avoid it, if I can.  And, I don't get this "let's follow the world" thing.  We run to the beat of our own drum in this country.  As my Father used to say, "I don't live in the world, I live in friggin New York city."

Message 6 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Walmart
2. Ohio
3. They have been using it for months now.

Most of my normal stores don't have it, I hope they get contactless when they get EMV. I really have become used to using Apple Pay now that I have been using it for the bonus on Discover. I like how I don't give them my actual credit card number and I get an instant notification of the payment amount, now I don't collect as many receipts.
Message 7 of 65
nyancat
Established Contributor

Gas stations were not given two more years. AFDs were. The liability shift applies inside their stores now.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 8 of 65
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The issue I have with "chip & pin" is that the adoption potentially chips away at consumer protections.  To prove charges were made by me, a Merchant/Bank needs to provide a physical slip with my signature authorizing the charge.  If this doesn't match or if it isn't provided, they lose.

What if we adopt a pin, and a thief guesses my pin?  Maybe I used my b'day?  Maybe I had written it down to keep from forgetting?  Maybe it was compromised another way?  So, if a correct pin was entered, for whatever reason, is it now "assumed" I'm liable for the charges?  If the latter is the case, I will either (1) refuse to use a chip & pin, or (2) stop using CCs altogether, if chip & pin becomes the standard.

Even abroad, I have an intense disliking for chip & pin, and avoid it, if I can.  And, I don't get this "let's follow the world" thing.  We run to the beat of our own drum in this country.  As my Father used to say, "I don't live in the world, I live in friggin New York city."

I remember asking this before!  What about an ATM?  Do you not use those?

Message 9 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I remember asking this before!  What about an ATM?  Do you not use those?

I do, though not very often.  

However, for the associated ATM checking accounts, I keep the balance at or around $500 with no overdraft.  And, when possible, I set ATM maximum withdrawals to $100; some, I even set to $20.  Also, ATMs usually have a $500 limit, which is the most I can lose in the case of a compromised pin.  However, for a CC, this could potentially be a huge amount of liability.

Message 10 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.