Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMV liability shift Question

tag
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

EMV liability shift Question

Once the Liability shift rolls arount October 1, does that mean that (theoretically) ALL sales should be done using EMV, and swiping will be a thing of the past? Or will we see a slow dragged out transition?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: EMV liability shift Question

Very likely, there will still be many stores that won't have EMV readers, or they may not be implemented by then even if they do have it. I'd say we'll still be swiping at most places for a long time.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 2 of 18
taxi818
Super Contributor

Exactly as stated. regardless ofyour card being emv. The merchant does not have to foot bill to upgrade equiptment. you will be swiping for many many years to come. its not going anywhere. its just a way to make you feel good. or thinking its safer. when it has already been proven to be obsolete even in europe. just less risker than the current system. but since we are talking credit cards. not debit cards. The risk is not yours. But on the issuer anyway. its not our money. but theirs they are trying to protect.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

With how whiny some businesses are being about the whole thing I bet it takes over a decade. Cat Sad

Message 4 of 18
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Simple. Don't shop at stores that don't use the chip. That'll teach them!

Message 5 of 18
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

With how whiny some businesses are being about the whole thing I bet it takes over a decade. Cat Sad

Seems like some banks are taking their sweet time as well...I still don't have a chip debit card, Freedom card (yes, I could request it but I'm curious to see how long it takes Chase to send it on their own), or Sallie Mae (Sallie Mae doesn't even have a chip yet at all -- have not heard a report of someone getting one with a chip). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 6 of 18
taxi818
Super Contributor

Ok. But I'm not driving 20 miles to shop at stores that don't use it. Who is it really teaching ? You. As you are spending more time and money.
Message 7 of 18
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Gas pumps have another two years to comply over and above the Oct 1st deadline.  Ironically gas pumps are one of the leading problem vectors of stolen credit card information via skimmers.

Message 8 of 18
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:
Ok. But I'm not driving 20 miles to shop at stores that don't use it. Who is it really teaching ? You. As you are spending more time and money.

So who is whiny then, the stores or the customers? Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

So who is whiny then, the stores or the customers? Smiley Wink

At least one group of retailers was trying to get the shift pushed back as recently as a couple of months ago.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.