Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMV liability shift Question

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: EMV liability shift Question

@taxi818 wrote:

Exactly as stated. regardless ofyour card being emv. The merchant does not have to foot bill to upgrade equiptment. you will be swiping for many many years to come. its not going anywhere. its just a way to make you feel good. or thinking its safer. when it has already been proven to be obsolete even in europe. just less risker than the current system. but since we are talking credit cards. not debit cards. The risk is not yours. But on the issuer anyway. its not our money. but theirs they are trying to protect.

I thought the whole point of the liability shift was that if the bank issues an EMV card, and the merchant you are at doesn't accept EMV, then any fraudulent charges are their fault, not the banks. I'm not sure how they would figure out which store the info was stolen from...or how...but that's how I understood it. 

Message 11 of 18
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

Wow thanks for the responses, yeah I thought the point was to push liability from the bank to the merchant.
I just don't every merchant switching to emv in like3 months....especially since I've only ever used an emv at walmart.
Well see what happens, but I agree that it will be years before we are fully emv

Message 12 of 18
victor7
Established Member

@creditconcept wrote:
Wow thanks for the responses, yeah I thought the point was to push liability from the bank to the merchant.
I just don't every merchant switching to emv in like3 months....especially since I've only ever used an emv at walmart.
Well see what happens, but I agree that it will be years before we are fully emv

100% EMV - probably not until it is mandatory and mag stripes have gone the way of the 8-track tape. There will always be local shops in some small town that don't need to switch over, as they actually know all their customers.

That said, I'll bet merchants start switching over very quickly once a few get hit with actual fraud. It won't seem real to them until they (or someone they know) face liability for a fraudulent transaction. Once that happens, they may decide it's better to upgrade their equipment.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@victor7 wrote:

@creditconcept wrote:

100% EMV - probably not until it is mandatory and mag stripes have gone the way of the 8-track tape. There will always be local shops in some small town that don't need to switch over, as they actually know all their customers.

That said, I'll bet merchants start switching over very quickly once a few get hit with actual fraud. It won't seem real to them until they (or someone they know) face liability for a fraudulent transaction. Once that happens, they may decide it's better to upgrade their equipment.

They'd have to get rid of gift cards to be able to 100% mandate it, right? Would people be okay with that?

Message 14 of 18
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Here's a great paper by FICO re EMV chip and how it will impact the US market.

http://www.fico.com/en/wp-content/secure_upload/Mercator-for-FICO-EMV-whitepaper.pdf

In particular EMV chip and sig cards effectively eliminate

counterfeit EMV card present purchases where the merchant has enabled EMV only if the card has an EMV chip..

They don't eliminate:

Lost or stolen card present purchases. These could be reduced if PINs were used but they are already quite small.

And this type of fraud will increase:

Card Not Present purchases.

This last type is already the dominant form of card fraud. It will become more dominant.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cashnocredit wrote:

Here's a great paper by FICO re EMV chip and how it will impact the US market.

http://www.fico.com/en/wp-content/secure_upload/Mercator-for-FICO-EMV-whitepaper.pdf

In particular EMV chip and sig cards effectively eliminate

counterfeit EMV card present purchases where the merchant has enabled EMV only if the card has an EMV chip..

They don't eliminate:

Lost or stolen card present purchases. These could be reduced if PINs were used but they are already quite small.

And this type of fraud will increase:

Card Not Present purchases.

This last type is already the dominant form of card fraud. It will become more dominant.

Looks good though it's weird that they don't consider signature a valid EMV cardholder verification method yet US cards are doing exactly that (and they even mention that further down). Cat Tongue

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

EMV eliminates much of the cloning problem from magstrip swipers. PIN would raise the bar further, but at a cost for card issuers dealing with numerous PIN resets, and more declined transactions due to forgotten PINs. Personally, I'm glad PIN is not required, because some card issuers could use that to make disputing fraudulent charges more difficult.

You're spot on about card not present transactions fraud, presumably, skyrocketing. However, there are ways to reduce such risk, including more aggressive screening and further encouraging merchants to ship to billing address and/or performing additional verification, such as contacting the cardholder. In the same vane, more card issuers will offer real-time charge notifications along with purchase verification tools to cardholders. In my view, card not present is an easier problem to manage than physically cloned cards, which EMV addresses well.

Message 17 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Exactly as stated. regardless ofyour card being emv. The merchant does not have to foot bill to upgrade equiptment. you will be swiping for many many years to come. its not going anywhere. its just a way to make you feel good. or thinking its safer. when it has already been proven to be obsolete even in europe. just less risker than the current system. but since we are talking credit cards. not debit cards. The risk is not yours. But on the issuer anyway. its not our money. but theirs they are trying to protect.

I thought the whole point of the liability shift was that if the bank issues an EMV card, and the merchant you are at doesn't accept EMV, then any fraudulent charges are their fault, not the banks. I'm not sure how they would figure out which store the info was stolen from...or how...but that's how I understood it. 

Usually it's more than 1 person, given sufficient sample size it's an easy enough back track to find the common transaction place... there's not a whole lot of overlap I'm guessing even between 10 stolen accounts in some place like Los Angeles let alone hundreds or thousands.

        
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.