Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMV on BCE?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

EMV on BCE?

Is it a good idea to have it just for the appearance? EMV is popular overseas, but not so much in the States. BCE is not a good card for overseas' usage anyway, since it comes with 2.7% FTF.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: EMV on BCE?

@DigitalArk wrote:

Is it a good idea to have it just for the appearance? EMV is popular overseas, but not so much in the States. BCE is not a good card for overseas' usage anyway, since it comes with 2.7% FTF.

For the appearance? No. For the security? Yes.

1. EMV will prevent your card from being skimmed and used overseas (the cloned stripe will be useless). MOST skimmed card data is sold in the US, but still, anything to limit the value of skimmed data is better than nothing.

2. Over the coming months, the US will be transitioning to EMV, so every month there will be more places using EMV, especially toward the end of the year. This will further enhance your card's security.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

Is it a good idea to have it just for the appearance?

I wouldn't say it's a good idea but it wouldn't hurt anything if appearance was your priority.  Your call.  Good is subjective just as with any topic.  You'll eventually end up with one anyway.

Message 3 of 7
Involver
Valued Contributor

Personally I don't see any reason not to switch.

I requested the EMV version immediately upon approval and was told I would have to receive a physical copy of my first card and then wait 2-3 weeks and could request the new one.  I'm surprised they aren't just producing them with chips already by default.  Probably just have a bunch of old cards without them to go through first Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

I didn't realize there was an EMV version of the BCE. I'm going to go request mine now!

Message 5 of 7
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I requested mine today...just for the look. So vain. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

I requested mine today...just for the look. So vain. Smiley Very Happy

Main reason I did mine lol   My account analyst who I talked to was kind of a jerk but I got my card overnighted.  Had me answer a few verification questions and put me on hold, said my card will be there the 20th and to have a good day and hung up without letting me say anything. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.