Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPIC FAIL Discover iT

tag
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

Re: EPIC FAIL Discover iT

Yeah other things are going to factor in the APR, such as income and perhaps a lot of recent inquires. Limits a CSR can adjust as they see fit, APRs are going to be done by the computer wheter its automatically or a CSR inputing the information. 

Don't know how often Discover will consider APR reduction, but you might as well ask after having the card for a year+ when you've had some history with them. And you will have 0 APR til then.

Message 11 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

New Card arrived today with 0% for 14 months... The goods of the card end there.

APR after 14 months 18.99% The scale used "based on credit" is 9.99% - 19.99% (I understand doesn't effect us for 14 months but kind of just bugs me to see that knowing the credit report and credit score)

Credit Line is $4500.

EQ Pull From Them = 770

Activation transferred to CSR transferred to Aquisitions transferred to to NOTHING WE CAN DO! Over and over and over again. (STONE WALL) I felt like I was talking to an English speaking GE Rep before you could talk to underwriting!

I know everyone keeps saying $4500 is a good starting limit with Discover and I know we have not seen tons and tons of people getting real high limits, I think actually the $12k or something posted the other day was highest but still witha  770 I just did't imagine it being 1/2 of my lowest limits!  I would have accepted the lower limit WAY better if I could have talked to analyst that says you know you do have really good credit but I will tell you this is what made me feel this way or that way or based on our policies this brought you down a couple points or somtehing... just a no no no we can;t do anything no no no from someone who is not part of underwriting upsets me more.

(Sorry talking as myself and the card is my partners and I'm on it... he doesn't Fico like I do! LOL I post for him Smiley Tongue )

The good thing about Discover is that you can call and request a lower APR every 3-6 months.  I've gotten them to reduce my APR 3 times in the last 2 years.   Speaking of which, I think I should call and do that now...

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 19
Settemio
Regular Contributor

$6500 on a 789 EQ score

Message 13 of 19
OwNt
New Contributor

Discover will grow with you, even if starting with a low limit. Mine is currently at $20,000.

~~Credit Cards~~
Alliant Platinum Rewards Visa, AmEx BCP, BofA Power Rewards, Bank of the West Platinum, Barclay Rewards World MC, Chase Freedom/Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi Thank You Preferred/Citi Dividend Select, Discover IT, FNBOmaha, Paypal MC, US Bank Cash+/US Bank Perks+.

Total: $300,000+ in lines.
Message 14 of 19
londonhogfan
Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

New Card arrived today with 0% for 14 months... The goods of the card end there.

APR after 14 months 18.99% The scale used "based on credit" is 9.99% - 19.99% (I understand doesn't effect us for 14 months but kind of just bugs me to see that knowing the credit report and credit score)

Credit Line is $4500.

EQ Pull From Them = 770

Activation transferred to CSR transferred to Aquisitions transferred to to NOTHING WE CAN DO! Over and over and over again. (STONE WALL) I felt like I was talking to an English speaking GE Rep before you could talk to underwriting!

I know everyone keeps saying $4500 is a good starting limit with Discover and I know we have not seen tons and tons of people getting real high limits, I think actually the $12k or something posted the other day was highest but still witha  770 I just did't imagine it being 1/2 of my lowest limits!  I would have accepted the lower limit WAY better if I could have talked to analyst that says you know you do have really good credit but I will tell you this is what made me feel this way or that way or based on our policies this brought you down a couple points or somtehing... just a no no no we can;t do anything no no no from someone who is not part of underwriting upsets me more.

(Sorry talking as myself and the card is my partners and I'm on it... he doesn't Fico like I do! LOL I post for him Smiley Tongue )

The good thing about Discover is that you can call and request a lower APR every 3-6 months.  I've gotten them to reduce my APR 3 times in the last 2 years.   Speaking of which, I think I should call and do that now...

Does this cost you a HP?

I'll be in the garden... FICO Score | TU-08: 732 in May 2013
Message 15 of 19
Bobert22
Contributor

@londonhogfan

No, there is no HP when reducing your APR.
Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 16 of 19
trishdadish
Regular Contributor

Based on what I've seen on here, it seems to me that if you don't have a lot of existing credit already (but you do have some), and your scores qualify for approval, Discover likes to load up your credit limit. When I app'd for Discover, they were just the 3rd credit card that I had app'd for in the past 7 years....I had had 2 low-limit Household Bank cards ($1300 total CL) for 7 years, and then had just app'd for Chase Freedom the day before. Even though I only had a 698 score, Discover gave me $7,500 to start with.  It also seems to me that Discover may be somewhat income sensitive. My starting limit was <9% of my annual income, and so I guess that they figured that I should be able to pay my bills.

All 3 bureaus (per Amex CreditSecure FAKO) are still 748 (as of 12/19/13). Cards: Discover It, $12,100, Chase Freedom $3,300, Chase Amazon $1,500, Walmart store $11,000, AMEX Zync NPSL, Costco Amex $14,700. US. Bank Cash +, $5,000. AMEX SPG $6,000, PenFed Plat. Cash Rewards $17,500, PenFed P-LOC $10,000, Citi Forward $5,100, Chase Slate $5,000, Old Navy, $2,200.
Message 17 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@trishdadish wrote:

Based on what I've seen on here, it seems to me that if you don't have a lot of existing credit already (but you do have some), and your scores qualify for approval, Discover likes to load up your credit limit. When I app'd for Discover, they were just the 3rd credit card that I had app'd for in the past 7 years....I had had 2 low-limit Household Bank cards ($1300 total CL) for 7 years, and then had just app'd for Chase Freedom the day before. Even though I only had a 698 score, Discover gave me $7,500 to start with.  It also seems to me that Discover may be somewhat income sensitive. My starting limit was <9% of my annual income, and so I guess that they figured that I should be able to pay my bills.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

He has tons of credit just sitting but it's credit that really wouldn't be used but to keep open.

Message 18 of 19
awdsmama
Established Contributor

FYI -- When I was approved, the rep told me that around month 12 or 13 call in and they can see if I qualify for a lower APR at that time and they can change it.

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.