Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EQ inquiries..ouch!

tag
Caliche
Valued Member

EQ inquiries..ouch!

My Equifax inquires increased from 3 up to 4 yesterday resulting in a scrore watch alert and a 7 point decrease.  Seems a little extreme to me. 

Starting Score: 621
Current Score: EQ700 TU 724
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: EQ inquiries..ouch!

Awwww!  Smiley Sad

If it makes it all better, you'll sometimes see score hits after several inquiries - rather than for each individual inquiry.

On EQ, when I had my first inquiry - no score hit.

Second inquiry - no score hit.

Third inquiry - minus 5 FICO points.

Fourth and fifth inquiry - no score hit.

Sixth inquiry - minus 7 FICO points

So, for newbie silly me, that time, I lost 12 FICO points for six inquiries (within just under six months - don't do that!!!*).  But they didn't come in neatly at two points per inquiry.  *The damage to AAofA and new account dings were more damaging than the inquiries, btw.

I think a nice root beer float could make things feel much better.  But maybe that's just me.  Smiley Tongue

And it's seemingly different for everyone; and different for one person at different times.  As always, its one amongst many mobile data points on your CR.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caliche wrote:

My Equifax inquires increased from 3 up to 4 yesterday resulting in a scrore watch alert and a 7 point decrease.  Seems a little extreme to me. 

I saw a model on some website, might have been EX, that shows you when an inquiry will affect your score. And I believe it's 1-3 (the third one gets you a ding) then 4-6 (the sixth one gets you a ding) and then 7-9 (ninth one gets you a ding). And then after that, I don't believe it affects your score, but I could be wrong. But the reason why it is that way is because it puts you into a new "risk" level. It's kind of crazy...but it is what it is.
Message 3 of 4
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Back in early 2009, I lost 14 pts for 4 hard inqs on EQ, with the 4th one dropping me 7 points alone.  My FICO was 790 at the time.  The higher your FICO, the more one seems to be punished for multiple hard inqs. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.