cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR CORRECTED! I was mistaken Boooo! Amex Blue Cash puts a $400 cap on 5% gas cashback

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

ERROR CORRECTED! I was mistaken Boooo! Amex Blue Cash puts a $400 cap on 5% gas cashback

SORRY! I made a mistake. See tangmeisters response below!

I just checked my Amex Blue Cash statement for November and it read as follows:

Please note that any single gasoline transaction over $400 will earn 0.5% for the first $6,500 of purchasesmade annually on the Card and 1.25% for annual purchases over $6,500.

Is that the beginning of the downgrading of Blue Cash? Are they joining Discover and Chase in slowly but surely devaluing a popular CC by slashing its rewards? Boooo to Amex for doing that!

Amex, though shalt rest in peace in the hindmost corner of my wallet. BoA 2% VISA gets my business. I am so glad I got that card!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: Boooo! Amex Blue Cash puts a $400 cap on 5% gas cashback

@wollepopolle wrote:

I just checked my Amex Blue Cash statement for November and it read as follows:

Please note that any single gasoline transaction over $400 will earn 0.5% for the first $6,500 of purchasesmade annually on the Card and 1.25% for annual purchases over $6,500.

Is that the beginning of the downgrading of Blue Cash? Are they joining Discover and Chase in slowly but surely devaluing a popular CC by slashing its rewards? Boooo to Amex for doing that!

Amex, though shalt rest in peace in the hindmost corner of my wallet. BoA 2% VISA gets my business. I am so glad I got that card!

The cap is only PER transaction; not an overall limit on rewards one can earn.  Who buys $400 worth of gasoline at one time?  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 12
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Darn, Tangmeister. You ARE correct. I am wrong. I misread it. Thanks for posting this! Smiley Very Happy Amex Blue Cash people have reason to remain happy!

You are right! Who buys gas for that much? Nobody unless the price for a gallon of gas rises to $30.

Message 3 of 12
ferrari
Regular Contributor

Or if you are filling up your yacht!

Message 4 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

This would have an effect on most Truck drivers who use there AMEX to fuel considering they have 200 gallon tanks and more @ $3 a gallon. Even recreational vehicles with larger fuel tanks. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 12
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@JM-AM wrote:

@this would have an effect on most Truck drivers who use there AMEX to fuel considering they have 200 gallon tanks and more @ $3 a gallon. Even recreational vehicles with larger fuel tanks. 

I guess you're right. But don't truck drivers have business cards for their trucking business?

I guess as far as RVs go, you could break it up in two or more transactions and remain below the limit.

Message 6 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Not necessarily have a business card because they do not qualify. Some are small independent operators and any savings in fuel is a big savings to them overall. They can also break it up into two or more transactions, but stopping several times is never in the best interest of most truck drivers. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 7 of 12
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

I suspect this limitation is intended to target auto repairs rather than truckers and RV owners.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

An auto repair out of a gasoline station??

Message 9 of 12
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

I know the large oil companies have pushed the convenience store model hard for the last 20 years, but there are still thousands of traditional service stations that do a full-range of automotive repairs throughout the U.S.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.