Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earning Power: United MP Club vs. Amex SPG

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Earning Power: United MP Club vs. Amex SPG

I wanted to get your thoughts about the earning power of these 2 cards. I've been reading posts from others about consolidating down to 3-4 cards (that are actually used), and that's the route I plan to head down in the next year or so. As it stands:

* The Chase United Mileage Plus Club card earns 1.5 United miles per dollar spent

* The Amex SPG earns 1 starpoint per dollar spent

Currently I spend 10.5 months of the year outside the US, and only 1/3 of my annual spend is in USD (about 40k).

* Assuming I'm always able to use the United miles (and I do), how would you compare 1.5 United miles to 1 starpoint?

* Is it worth adding the Amex SPG to my rotation for the 1/3 spend that won't hit me with a forex fee? I'd only be using it when I'm in the US or for online transactions from US merchants.

I'm particularly interested in feedback from those who have/use high-end travel cards (Open123, bribro, Crashem, etc.), but any comments would be appreciated.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Earning Power: United MP Club vs. Amex SPG

It would only be worthwhile if you had reason to occasionally stay at Starwood properties with the “cash + points” option.  When used this way, the value of a SPG point ranges from 3 - 5 cents per dollar spent on the card. 

With the UA Plus card, you’d have little reason to transfer SPG points to airlines, especially given UA Continental’s very comprehensive coverage.

In my view, with approximately 40k spending, it would only be worth the extra fee and taking spending away from your CSP if you were find stays in US SPG properties of value.

Some examples of points for stays:

Sheraton Fairplex

USD approx 188/night

Or 2,800 points + 45 per night

This equates to 5.1 cents per dollar spent

Chicago O’Hare Airport Hotel

USD approx 170/night

Or 2,800 points + 45 per night

This equates to 4.3 cents per dollar spent

The Royal Hawaiian, Waikiki

USD approx 420/night

Or 8,000 points + 150 per night

This equates to 3.4 cents per dollar spent

The values range, but SPG has a wide enough selection where you could find some tremendous value for domestic stays.  Also, when using points + cash, SPG will count them as a stay towards SGP Gold (5X spending at SPG properties) or Platinum status.  Annual spending of $30K will result in automatic SPG Gold Preferred status—upgrades, late checkout, free wifi, and breakfast.

Currently, Amex is running a 30K sign up bonus promo on this card, which makes it a tremendous value if used as referenced above.

In my view, if you find any of the SPG properties appealing, I think the card is worth it.  It may take some time and searching to maximize the points, but there are enough properties where you’ll always be able to derive at least 2.5 – 3 cents per dollar spent.

The only downside is when staying outside the US, forex fees will eat away at the portion you pay thereby reducing the overall rewards.

All in all, I think this is Amex’s best product.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.