Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest AMEX To get

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Easiest AMEX To get

I really want a AMEX Card and my scores are around 650.  What is the easiest AMEX Card to get?  I have heard people having some decent luck

with Dillards and also Costco?  Tahnks for your help.  Here is what I have currently

Walmart  800   0 balance

Macys  2100     0 balance

NFCU Cash Rewards 1500      1450 balance

NFCU Platinum 2000                 1400 balance

Old Navy 200  0 balance

Lowes 5000   2200 balance

Target 1000  0 balance

Kohls  1500 350 balance

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Easiest AMEX To get

I think Amex Charge Cards are the easiest one to get. Costco Amex is not easiest one to get. Dillards Amex is not issued by Amex and the cards are issued by GE Money Bank. By the way, you need a clean report to apply for any Amex card and they usually EXP. Sometimes they might pull all 3.

Ron.

Message 2 of 8
moonman
Frequent Contributor

the charge cards are easier to get than their credit cards because with the credit cards they use their own credit criteria  along with who they pull which is usually experian and the charge cards you have to pay the balance in full every month so it is less of a risk for them.

Message 3 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I really want a AMEX Card and my scores are around 650.  What is the easiest AMEX Card to get?  I have heard people having some decent luck

with Dillards and also Costco?  Tahnks for your help.  Here is what I have currently

Walmart  800   0 balance

Old Navy 200  0 balance

Target 1000  0 balance

Kohls  1500 350 balance

In all honesty, I wouldn't app for an Amex card. You have some high balances (one of your NFCU cards is nearly maxed-out) and your score is a bit low, assuming its a FICO score. I would pay down your CCs and wait for the lower balances to report before apping

Message 4 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@fused wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Walmart  800   0 balance

Old Navy 200  0 balance

Target 1000  0 balance

Kohls  1500 350 balance

In all honesty, I wouldn't app for an Amex card. You have some high balances (one of your NFCU cards is nearly maxed-out) and your score is a bit low, assuming its a FICO score. I would pay down your CCs and wait for the lower balances to report before apping

+1. I would pay down to under 5% across the board and get your legit scores over 700.

Message 5 of 8
MattH
Senior Contributor

@moonman wrote:

the charge cards are easier to get than their credit cards because with the credit cards they use their own credit criteria  along with who they pull which is usually experian and the charge cards you have to pay the balance in full every month so it is less of a risk for them.

With my Amex Gold card some purchases must be paid in full and some may be revolved, so the most recent statement on my account said $334.21 Due In Full Charges and $2106.44 Flexible Charges.  I have not bothered to learn the arcane rules distinguishing the categories because I always pay in full anyway (and since all my cards including Amex jacked up my rates in 2009 I'm sure not gonna start carrying balances now).  Way back when, there was a separate Sign And Travel account, and one had to specifically ask the vendor to put a special code on a transaction to allow payment over time, then for a while all charges eligible for Sign And Travel would automatically be treated as such.   At some point all mention of Sign And Travel vanished entirely, becoming the current Due In Full versus Flexible.  My recollection of when these various changes happened is quite vague as I've had this account since 1982.  I do not know whether all Amex Gold Card accounts have the Flexible Charges feature.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 6 of 8
vision

@Anonymous wrote:

Walmart  800   0 balance

Old Navy 200  0 balance

Target 1000  0 balance

Kohls  1500 350 balance

The biggest lesson I have learned on my credit repair journey, is that what I want and what is best for my situation...are usually two different things. Apping for the AMEX in your current situation, is not what's best.

+1 to the poster who recommended you focus on paying down your balances and utilization.

Look into the AMEX when your score is higher and your balances are lower.

TU Score: 748
EQ Score: 746
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have much to add to the topic but don't forget to check amex's site to see if you're pre-selected for any of the cards. (if you haven't already done so.) Smiley Happy

https://www201.americanexpress.com/secure/my-special-offers?btct=AMEX_APPLY_Main_SJ_N5_Bucket_ultima...:Targeted&ct11=AMEX_APPLY_Main_SJ_N5_Bucket_ultimatePerfectCards

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.