Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest AMEX card approval?

tag
londonhogfan
Contributor

Easiest AMEX card approval?

I want to get an AMEX card sometime this year but  was recently turned down for the Blue card. Is there a certain card that is easiest to get approved for?

I'll be in the garden... FICO Score | TU-08: 732 in May 2013
Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Easiest AMEX card approval?

Green and Gold charge cards and Delta Gold for revolver.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 57
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

...really? I thought all the charge cards had the same requirement?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 3 of 57
londonhogfan
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I would have thought the Blue or Clear were their easiest cards.

I'll be in the garden... FICO Score | TU-08: 732 in May 2013
Message 4 of 57
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

...really? I thought all the charge cards had the same requirement?

Sorry the Green, Gold and PRG, but the Platinum has a higher requirments as what I read on here. Correct me if I am wrong. Also upgrading to PRG is not guaranteed as well. 

Message 5 of 57
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

I just got approved for delta gold. My aaoa is 1.2 years with multiple accts opened in the past 60 days as well as 10 inquiries. They started me off with 1000 limit.

Message 6 of 57
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

www.whogavemecredit.com

Personally, I would app for the Green Charge card and THEN the delta gold immediately afterwards for best possible chance of approval of both.

YMMV

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 57
Elcid89
Contributor

Amex likes:

stability - i.e. not a lot of recently opened accounts, not many inquiries and no overtuilization. They also like to see existing accounts that are at least a year old (and probably longer).

They have an internal scoring formula which takes many factors, including income, into account. Assuming none of the stability problems above apply to you, I'd start with the green, and build a relationship with them. Treat them right and they'll return the favor.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 8 of 57
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Everyone says charge cards but a lady at AMEX EO said the Blue was the easiest card to get out of everything, but who know and as always YMMV. Based on the posts here usually people will get a Green and immediately app for the Delta Gold to get 2 cards on 1 HP, and then PC the Delta to a BCE/P. 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 9 of 57
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

Everyone says charge cards but a lady at AMEX EO said the Blue was the easiest card to get out of everything, but who know and as always YMMV. Based on the posts here usually people will get a Green and immediately app for the Delta Gold to get 2 cards on 1 HP, and then PC the Delta to a BCE/P. 

Yeah this is a first I hear of this because AMEX is a charge card company that doesnt really like revolving debt. But hey a lot of companies are changing now a days. Look at their charge cards that are part revolver Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.