Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest retail card to get

tag
Learning_Tee0225
Regular Contributor

Re: Easiest retail card to get

Yea I have both scores through TU and MyFico and they both report almost the same score a 7 point difference between the two (TU website and Myfico website), kinda odd but oh well.  my TU and Equifax score are the only ones i have.

I was a little doubtful on needing a retail card i dont think it will hurt but at the same time i dont want to do all these inquiries to keep gettin denied when its something i may not even need to achieve a better score. 

Credit recovery journey -Jan 2022
1/2022: TU: 557 EX: 521 EQ: 567
6/2022: TU: 630 EX: 633 EQ:640
Current Cards
Open Sky Secured: $300
Discover IT: $2000
Merrick Bank: 2K
Mission Lane: $800
Forever 21: $600
Apple Card $1500, NFCU Go Rewards $6700, Amazon $600, Kohls $750
Message 11 of 16
tcbofade
Super Contributor

If you don't need it / won't use it...don't open it.

Do you have any CC accounts open?

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 12 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Learning_Tee0225 wrote:

Yea I have both scores through TU and MyFico and they both report almost the same score a 7 point difference between the two (TU website and Myfico website), kinda odd but oh well.  my TU and Equifax score are the only ones i have.

I was a little doubtful on needing a retail card i dont think it will hurt but at the same time i dont want to do all these inquiries to keep gettin denied when its something i may not even need to achieve a better score. 

It probably won't hurt you beyond the inquiry(ies) and new tradeline (which are mostly short-term issues), but it's not going to help if you already have open national bank cards from everything that we know.  

Retail cards used to be the basement of the credit world; that's no longer the case, but the models theoretically still handle them a little differently and while I personally think it's ridiculous, I don't make the rules.  In all ways a national card is equivalent or better than any retail card, so unless you shop there and there's some useful perks, skip it.  That said, if you don't have any current credit cards, or even just one, you probably want something else but I'd always recommend a secured card or a rebuilder unsecured one over a retail card if we're just talking about FICO scoring purposes.

        
Message 13 of 16
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

@Learning_Tee0225 wrote:

My only regular credit card hasn't reported yet, but, I got a 20 point boost when I my first credit card reported even though it was a Maurices card from WFNNB. The subsequent 5 added store cards have lowered my score about 15 points even though there was only one additional inquiry. What I did isn't a good idea for most people. But, I have an unusual situation wherein I have about 10 positive accounts all closed/paid off about 8 years ago and then ten negative accounts included in bankruptcy and closed 3 years ago. In two years all my old positive tradelines will have fallen off my credit leaving only the ten negative tradelines which will then fall off in an additional two years. Basically, without some kind of action, my credit account is going to be nothing but negative in two years. The really inconvenient part is that two years correlates with when I will be graduating from college and looking for a job that will probably run a credit check. It's also when my husband will quit working (after I start working obviously) and take my place as the stay at home parent leaving just my credit and income to rely on. I'm not entirely sure, but for me I think it will look better to have a pile of two year old accounts in a couple years versus one or two recent accounts and ten negative accounts. Either way, it's not going to be great. Even with the added accounts I have an AAOA of 6+ years.
I actually picked stores I don't frequent so that it would be easy to teach myself not to run them up. It's more of a chore to go in, find some cheap stupid item to put on the card, pay it off as soon as it posts and earn credit. I already resold my Ann Taylor Loft and Victoria Secret purchases on Ebay.. lol..

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 14 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Learning_Tee0225 wrote:

Some people have reported luck with FingerHut

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Learning_Tee0225 wrote:

Some people have reported luck with FingerHut

I wouldn't go with fingerhut because of they're obsurd markup on products.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.