cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest to get Airline miles credit card?

tag
ScottL
New Contributor

Easiest to get Airline miles credit card?

Hi all, I have been trying to repair my credit for a year now.  In January 2013, I was barely at 500 credit score, and a year later Im hovering around 620-630 (according to credit karma, credit seasame and freecreditreport.com sites).  So I have made progress.

I currently have only

mortgage loan (has a few lates in 2013 while going through a divorce)

auto loan (has 2-3 recent lates because of an insurance screwup where they added their own insurance to my loan and i was unaware and made my regular payment. GW letter sent to have these lates removed)

Capital One secured credit card (was hovering around 51% utilization, just realized i need that below 10% so i paid it down)

So im HOPING that my next update in January my scores will go up now that my auto loan is current (and hopefully the GW letters will have lates removed) and now that my credit card is paid down.

So before I apply for a 2nd credit card, I will wait a month or two and see what happens with the GW letter and my score with the auto loan and credit card stuff. But lets say, it does go up slightly and my new score is 630+... could I qualify for any real credit cards (non secured) and if so, specifically an airline mile reward type credit card? Id really like to start saving some airline miles from everyday purchases if possible.

Starting Score: 498 (Jan 2013)
Current FICO 8: 687 EQ, 683 TU, 700 EX
Goal Score: 680
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Re: Easiest to get Airline miles credit card?

Your credit profile doesnt look too good with too recent delinquencies. ..specifically mortgage...

Capital one might approve you and the quicksilver version you can get miles or cash back of 1.5% go see their pre approval site.
Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 2 of 6
ptilda
Established Contributor

@ScottL wrote:

Hi all, I have been trying to repair my credit for a year now.  In January 2013, I was barely at 500 credit score, and a year later Im hovering around 620-630 (according to credit karma, credit seasame and freecreditreport.com sites).  So I have made progress.

I currently have only

mortgage loan (has a few lates in 2013 while going through a divorce)

auto loan (has 2-3 recent lates because of an insurance screwup where they added their own insurance to my loan and i was unaware and made my regular payment. GW letter sent to have these lates removed)

Capital One secured credit card (was hovering around 51% utilization, just realized i need that below 10% so i paid it down)

So im HOPING that my next update in January my scores will go up now that my auto loan is current (and hopefully the GW letters will have lates removed) and now that my credit card is paid down.

So before I apply for a 2nd credit card, I will wait a month or two and see what happens with the GW letter and my score with the auto loan and credit card stuff. But lets say, it does go up slightly and my new score is 630+... could I qualify for any real credit cards (non secured) and if so, specifically an airline mile reward type credit card? Id really like to start saving some airline miles from everyday purchases if possible.

I got the US Bank AeroMexico Visa secured which gives a companion ticket, 10% off AM purchases, and miles if you fly with them. Had to recon & give a higher annual income, but I think that's because of the huge amounts I have in deferred student loans. 

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 3 of 6
reno55
Regular Contributor

How much did you have to "deposit" for this?

Message 4 of 6
ptilda
Established Contributor

100%. $300-$3k, I believe. I put the minimum down because I don't have enough extra money to have a lot tied up in secured cards.

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 5 of 6
FionaRigo28
New Visitor

Hi there! Thanks for this post (answers and question). Very useful. 

@ptilda wrote:

100%. $300-$3k, I believe. I put the minimum down because I don't have enough extra money to have a lot tied up in secured cards.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.