Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy Discover Card?

tag
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Easy Discover Card?

Just out of curiosity.... Which discover card do you guys think is the easiest to obtain? Zync would obviously be the easiest for Amex.. So which is the "easiest" for Discover?

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Easy Discover Card?

@Tommy5746 wrote:

Just out of curiosity.... Which discover card do you guys think is the easiest to obtain? Zync would obviously be the easiest for Amex.. So which is the "easiest" for Discover?

Unless you end up with the auto pay Amex Zync, Regular Zync is not harder to get then Gold or Platinum.

I believe Discover More has been the biggest approval topic for easier cards... I seem to remember some posts about applying for such and such Discover and getting an instant counter offer for More with higher APR or something.

Message 2 of 26
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

I have heard that as well, but I bet that AMEX does have slightly different qualifications for zync, green, gold/pr gold and platinum. While the necessary credit scores are all probably about the same and not having any recent baddies, I would bet that there is a different income requirement for Platinum and perhaps Gold/PR Gold than for Zync. I really cannot see AMEX approving a person for Platinum with an income under 30,000.00 per year for example. How big of a difference this is I cannot say, but I would estimate it does have an impact.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@espnjunkie wrote:

I have heard that as well, but I bet that AMEX does have slightly different qualifications for zync, green, gold/pr gold and platinum. While the necessary credit scores are all probably about the same and not having any recent baddies, I would bet that there is a different income requirement for Platinum and perhaps Gold/PR Gold than for Zync. I really cannot see AMEX approving a person for Platinum with an income under 30,000.00 per year for example. How big of a difference this is I cannot say, but I would estimate it does have an impact.

Charge cards are the same. You pay for benifits. They can put a 500 limit on zync just as easy as they can platinum. Im under 30K and hold a platinum. 

Discovers student cards would be easiest if your a student.

Message 4 of 26
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

They probably are thinking that for a person to justify the expense of a Platinum card they must be earning quite a bit. With an annual fee of $450.00 a cardholder would have to spend at least $45,000.00 per year on the card in order to 'cover' the annual fee. Yes I understand that other benefits are involved as well, priority pass enrollment, glabl entry, concierge, companion passes, etc, but in terms of pure value that is what must be spent. The Gold and Platinum cards, while cool, don't really seem have much greater value than green unless you travel all the time, likely on business.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@espnjunkie wrote:

They probably are thinking that for a person to justify the expense of a Platinum card they must be earning quite a bit. With an annual fee of $450.00 a cardholder would have to spend at least $45,000.00 per year on the card in order to 'cover' the annual fee. Yes I understand that other benefits are involved as well, priority pass enrollment, glabl entry, concierge, companion passes, etc, but in terms of pure value that is what must be spent. The Gold and Platinum cards, while cool, don't really seem have much greater value than green unless you travel all the time, likely on business.

I once thought the 45000 spend was required, but if you transfer properly, 60K MR points can be worth $1K. Platinum is fantastic for me. Ive never been so impressed with a card. I came from PR Gold and the difference is astonishing. Even though my income isnt very high, many business expenses find their way on the card, making it seem like I make way more than I do. 

Message 6 of 26
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

If that is the case have you ever been questioned about your spending ont he card? If you told AMEX you make less than 30,000.00 per year won't it raise a flag to them when they see you are spending more than your income in a year to get 60 k rewards points?

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@espnjunkie wrote:

If that is the case have you ever been questioned about your spending ont he card? If you told AMEX you make less than 30,000.00 per year won't it raise a flag to them when they see you are spending more than your income in a year to get 60 k rewards points?

Well techincally sign on 50K plus 10K spend = the 60K im referring to, but that was only an example.

They know my income, it was on my app. They are learning/know my spending. If any flags were raised I would think they would have brought them to my attention. I think as long as they are getting paid they dont really seem to care how much I put through platinum. I pay around once a week now to keep the balance low.

Message 8 of 26
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Ahhh i didn't know you were including the bonus miles. Makes more sense now haha. My green card should arrive in the mail shortly. I am curious as to what my starting 'limit' is for the card and will likely have to call customer service and ask. I know they take your spending and payment history into consideration, but since this is my first AMEX card I have no clue where my starting point is.

TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 9 of 26
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Actually, there is a different criteria for AMEX charge cards.  You cannot PC from Zync to the other 4 charge cards.  I've tried and they have told me countless times that Zync isn't allowed for a product change due to it being a different tier of charge card. If you had an AMEX Green or any other charge card you could go up and down between them but once you go say from Platinum to Zync you cannot change back even if you were originally approved for Platinum.  I bit the bullet and applied for it yesterday and got approved for Platinum. I checked today and it was soft because it used info from my JB AMEX which was great, but YMMV. Here are some scenarios:

App for Zync, get approved...13 months later you want to PC to Green, Gold, Gold PR, or Platinum -- No dice

App for Green Gold, Gold PR, Platinum, get approved...13 months later you want to PC to Zync, Green Gold, Gold PR, or Platinum --  YES

If PC to Zync from after you've had one of the other 4 -- NO DICE.

So think carefully what you want Smiley Happy

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.