cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy first no AF fee credit card? Looking for suggestions.

tag
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Easy first no AF fee credit card? Looking for suggestions.

Looking for ideas on a credit card to suggest for a client. He doesn't have bad credit, just literally no credit as he moved from another country.

I'm looking for cards with no AF, and are easier to get approved for. Rate/rewards/APR/Limit are non factors.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Easy first no AF fee credit card? Looking for suggestions.

@SamsungHDTV wrote:

Looking for ideas on a credit card to suggest for a client. He doesn't have bad credit, just literally no credit as he moved from another country.

I'm looking for cards with no AF, and are easier to get approved for. Rate/rewards/APR/Limit are non factors.

Any suggestions?

In my opinion, a local credit union will be the best option to start with. 

That's what I did. 

Another option is to ask for a credit card with the bank where he deposits money. His banker might be able to get him a deal.

Secured cards work good for most such people. Secured cards generally have an AF but this one doesn't: https://www.dcu.org/loans/visa-secured.html

Message 2 of 8
wmweeza
Established Contributor

I'd say a secured card from BofA, plus it usually unsecures after 9 months to a year (depending). Just be sure he applies for a card with no AF

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Does the client have an Amex in the his previous country?  If so, Global Transfer can do the trick.

Message 4 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Dependent on spending patterns, TRY:

Amex Green (charge) Amex BCE(revolver)

Chase Freedom is good and easy

Capital One Quicksilver is a good starter, BUT Capital One is just that- a starter(this card is good to build, so it would eventually have to be sacrificed!)

bTw, it is quite possible that credit reports and scores will partially transfer overseas. A friend of mine from New Zealand thought she had no credit when she moved, but when she applied in a certain store, she got approved ( I presume she had to have some type of decent credit)

mAybe an international banking relationship will transfer(Citi, maybe Chase?)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 8
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Dependent on spending patterns, TRY:

Amex Green (charge) Amex BCE(revolver)

Chase Freedom is good and easy

Capital One Quicksilver is a good starter, BUT Capital One is just that- a starter(this card is good to build, so it would eventually have to be sacrificed!)

bTw, it is quite possible that credit reports and scores will partially transfer overseas. A friend of mine from New Zealand thought she had no credit when she moved, but when she applied in a certain store, she got approved ( I presume she had to have some type of decent credit)

mAybe an international banking relationship will transfer(Citi, maybe Chase?)

LOL amex green has a terrible AF. I would second the chase freedom vote but i disagree on cap one quicksilver. Chase freedom is great cause you can recon and they will listen to you. Cap one will grow with you. BTW credit steps and and the EO office you never need a hp for a CLI you can also recon with them as well. The rewards are solid and they are very very easy to use fid amex. You can also call the EO and they will remove the AF for good. I would also look into barclaycard rewards or sallie mae. They both offer free fico and tend to have a lot of approvals. You can also recon with them. I would stay away from amex or discover first because you have no chance of a recon. Try all the pre approval sites to see if anything pops up. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 6 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I only suggested Amex in case the op wants to feel special LOL...

YOu can get some sort of really basic version of the Green with like a $55 AF or an offer on Gold where it is waived first year

in that situation, the op would be only getting it to establish credit and a relationship with Amex.

I personally hate charge cards, but I think Amex's are easier to get than most think lol because they are PIF. Im thinking a 600-680 could get it if the case is right.

whAtever you do, AVOID CREDIT ONE, FIRST PREMIER BANK, CONTINENTAL FINANCE, ASPIRE VISA and any type of account that has monthly fees or an apr in excess of 30%

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 8
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

I only suggested Amex in case the op wants to feel special LOL...

YOu can get some sort of really basic version of the Green with like a $55 AF or an offer on Gold where it is waived first year

in that situation, the op would be only getting it to establish credit and a relationship with Amex.

I personally hate charge cards, but I think Amex's are easier to get than most think lol because they are PIF. Im thinking a 600-680 could get it if the case is right.

whAtever you do, AVOID CREDIT ONE, FIRST PREMIER BANK, CONTINENTAL FINANCE, ASPIRE VISA and any type of account that has monthly fees or an apr in excess of 30%

yes +1. My only denial sense joning this forum was amex prg. I always wondered if i applied for the green what would of happened. I know everyone says that all charge cards are u/w the same. But idk ive read differently on other websites. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.