cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy to get student card.....Any suggestions??

tag
goodgirl-badcredit
Frequent Contributor

Easy to get student card.....Any suggestions??

I am going to close my HSBC at the end of the month. I will try to get them to waive the $79 fee. But in the mean time I will need something to replace that measly $300. Do you have any suggestions. I have just pulled a copy of my reports from CCT. I have no lates in 3 years...I have new student loans as of July 2009 they are in deferment. Last collection was in 2006 last key derogatory 2008. All credit cards are paid ontime. I was looking into getting the CitiForward Student card because I also have my student loans with them. So you think they will approve me? If you need more information just let me know.

*Does a key derogatory count as a late?

Thank you

Starting Score: 3/21 EQ 636 TU 669
Current Score: 12/30 EQ 740 TU 712 EX ??? ....
Goal Score: Yay... I reached my goal of 700!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Easy to get student card.....Any suggestions??

what are your scores like - are the scores in ur signature valid and current?

I dont think you should go with the forward at that score because someone i know who is close to me apped with a clean credit file and a 690-700 score and was denied. Maybe BofA student card or discover? others can chime in.

Message 2 of 9
goodgirl-badcredit
Frequent Contributor

Bump

Is Discover Student card easier to get than a CitiForward Student card? Yes those are my scores as of that date. I pulled my report from cct and my ex score shows 631 but who nows what it truly is. 

Starting Score: 3/21 EQ 636 TU 669
Current Score: 12/30 EQ 740 TU 712 EX ??? ....
Goal Score: Yay... I reached my goal of 700!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 9
alph4
Regular Contributor

Discover tends to be picky I hear, but then again every creditor is picky in this environment. I just got approved for a Citi Forward toward (listed myself as a student) although my scores are in the low 800s, so I couldn't tell you accurately one way or another.
Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 4 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Your scores are on the low side for Discover. Call one of there nice CSR's and ask them what your chances are. If you don't get a clear answer call back again until you do.
Message 5 of 9
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Hello, i'm a college student and i recently applied for a student discover card and got approve. All my scores are in the 640 to 650 range. I have three years of credit history. Even though this new account is my lowest CL, i'm still flattered about my recent approval.

I hope this helps 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 6 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

Discover like a pristine credit history.  They normally pull TU reports.  Inquiries may not be a problem.
Message 7 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

@shyboy wrote:

Hello, i'm a college student and i recently applied for a student discover card and got approve. All my scores are in the 640 to 650 range. I have three years of credit history. Even though this new account is my lowest CL, i'm still flattered about my recent approval.

I hope this helps 

When I was approved or my Discover Card while a college student, I had a Capital One card, and a student loan listed.  Discover student card is easy to get.  Credit line around $1000.  They give students CLI's if you pay in full each month.

Message 8 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:
Discover like a pristine credit history.  They normally pull TU reports.  Inquiries may not be a problem.

All of the above are not necessarily true.

Received pre-app offer. Score about 690, two serious lates reporting, previous problems (severe) with Discover. Advised not to app by "experts".

Harded EX in FL. 3/2 year and 1/1 year INQ's showing, plus two new accounts in previous six months.

Approved $8.1K, now $10.1K. (This is very high for a Discover approval. Most will not get this, maybe ever.)

What Discover wants to see from regular applicants is good revolving history. They have tightened some since my approval 14 months ago. They consider income and other CL's heavily when setting their CL's. Both of these consideration do not apply as much to their student card offerings. There is a "terms" tradeoff for the easier approval - higher APR/no intro offer.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.