cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebates credit card... how are you using it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ebates credit card... how are you using it?

I know many of us have a large credit line with Ebates. But are you using it often? I used it once and paid it off. I was wondering if there was any other way to use it, like to purchase gift cards or anything. I don't shop just for the sake of shopping and there's not a lot of things I need or want. Any ideas? Thanks! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Ebates credit card... how are you using it?

I have used mine a handful of times, using the ebates site, and found it a bit of a pain.  I nearly always had to open a ticket to get the extra 3% for using the card.   I also find ebates discounts lower than many other portals, and with my Discover IT Miles also giving 3% this year, there's no incentive to use it or the ebates portal.

I did get the card to purchase Amex giftcards (as that was the sweet spot where ebates excelled) but the value has gone from that.

Message 2 of 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

I have a 15,000.00 limit I use it sometimes at just a regular store to put some spend on it.
Message 3 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know many of us have a large credit line with Ebates. But are you using it often? I used it once and paid it off. I was wondering if there was any other way to use it, like to purchase gift cards or anything. I don't shop just for the sake of shopping and there's not a lot of things I need or want. Any ideas? Thanks! 

+1

This is the reason I have stayed away from Ebates so far... most of my online purchases are with Amazon or eBay, where there are better options.  The few times I do make purchases on other sites, Discover is usually the best option (at least for me, so far).

I'm sorry I don't have anything more positive to contribute... I'm actually looking forward to reading the replies myself, since possibly I'm missing something obvious with this card.  It has too many fans on here for there to be nothing to it!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
msbia
Established Contributor

*FAN*

I am primarily an online shopper and eBates fits the bill for me when I can't find a better deal through Discover or Chase UR mall. There are basically three stores I use it, Ralph Lauren, Macy's and America Eagle Outfitters (for my son). I will give a for instance: a few weeks ago Macy's was having a sale and I have a Macys card with $19k limit. I compared using it with their coupons to eBates for buying two Calvin Klein coats. Using eBates I got both coats for $89, free shipping and cash back whereas using Macy's it would have cost me $119, pay $9.99 for shipping and no cash back. I love eBates! 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 5 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Don't have Ebates, but I can tell you from my Upromise experience that more often than not these "portal specific" cards tend to be a PITA.

1) After having the card, you ultimately just start hopping right onto Ebates/Upromise/etc and shopping from there, just assuming it's the best deal, and could be missing out on other deals. Of course some people still compare portals but human nature tends to make us fall into habits. It's similar to people using their CSP to book through the Chase portal regardless of anything -- that "20% discount" can cause you to ignore other options.

2) Cash back tracking is mediocre at best. With Upromise and Ebates seems about the same -- a lot of people have to open tickets to get the missing cash back. I didn't like that hassle. I've used Ebates (not the CC, just the portal) and can tell you that my very first attempt at cash back did NOT work. I didn't bother emailing since the result would have been a small amount of money, but the tracking is far from flawless.

3) If you aren't someone who shops much and don't want to buy things just to buy them (which is good!), the Ebates card isn't going to be that useful. For basic purchases the return is nothing special, and you have to wait for the rewards to "process" on the Ebates sytem.

For loyal Ebates users sure it's a good card and can produce some decent cash back but overall, I'd never apply for a portal specific card again. Too much headache for not enough real gain. Note you can link/use any CC on Ebates/Upromise/etc, don't have to get the portal branded card. Yes you get slightly less return, but if you don't shop much, may not be worth holding the specific card.

OP, don't use a card just to use it. If it truly doesn't fall into your spending patterns, consider moving on.

Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have the Ebates Toolbar on my web broswer so when I go to a site it pops up if there is a discount offer... I tend to only use it for the purchase when I don't have a store card to that particular store (Banana Republic, my BR Visa is 5%) BUT I can still get the Ebates percentage minus the Visa 3%!! I tend to average $80+ish quarter from ebates check.

Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I have the Ebates Toolbar on my web broswer so when I go to a site it pops up if there is a discount offer... I tend to only use it for the purchase when I don't have a store card to that particular store (Banana Republic, my BR Visa is 5%) BUT I can still get the Ebates percentage minus the Visa 3%!! I tend to average $80+ish quarter from ebates check.

RIght, but the issue for me is that generally ebates is uncompetitve compared with alternatives.   The ebates tool bar makes it easy to use, but at a cost!  Of course, this depends where you shop, but my most recent example, REI, ebates is 2.5%, befrugal is 4%, and others go up to 6%.   Apart from Amex gift cards, I have never found ebates rates to be the best, although if you have the ebates cc and don't have another 3% card, the combined rate might be better by about 0.5% in some cases.

Again, I'm sure for some stores it works well.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I simply use the cashbackmonitor website. That tells  me which portal to go through I'm a fan of Ebates because I have yet to be cheated out of my cashback and clicking on a ticket is so seamless with them if there is an issue. Sometimes they may not offer the highest cashback percentage but I rather have stable consistency. Then again I'm a fan of never paying full price so I will take that extra moment to get the most savings with or without a coupon. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.