Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ebay Mastercard

I applied for and was approved for the Ebay Mastercard. I have a CL of 5,000 and I received my card in the mail today. I noticed that after I activated it by phone it was not showing up in my Paypal account, I was told it would take four dayd to link to my account. Which is fine with me, I just wanted to ask others about their experiences with this card. I mostly got it so I could have a Mastercard Credit Card and I do buy a lot of things on ebay, I have already spent enough to earn ebay bucks this quarter (ebay bucks is 2% on the purchase price minus shipping on most things on ebay, you need to earn $5 before you can get your ebay bucks) so I figured I may as well get a card that will give me something in addition to just being a card for me to use just in case my Discover card is not accepted at some places.

I have also heard some horror stories about people being unable to pay their bill on Paypal because the link dissappeared off of their Paypal account but those threads are five to six years old by now. So I am hoping the issue has been resolved.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Re: Ebay Mastercard

I have had this card for a while. I am debating on closing it. Does not seam to be many rewards, unless I am missing something. The points are not that great. IMO.

In regards to paying pay pal I just treat the ebay mc like any other account and do not try to use pay pal to pay the bill. I use my banks online bill pay and its always gone smooth.

The website has never really been that good in terms of looking at the details of your mc.

I have no need for pay pal and really dont understand it. 

Yes it did take a while before I could view the account online. 

Hope that helps.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 2 of 7
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

This is a clone to a PayPal extras MasterCard.

if you call in, it will some times refer to it as an Extras card. It reports to the CRA's as a PayPal Extra also.

As Jeffery581 pointed out, the website sucks for timely information.

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 3 of 7
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I figured I may as well get a card that will give me something in addition to just being a card for me to use just in case my Discover card is not accepted at some places.

Earning ebay bucks only requires you to sign up for it on ebay.  There was no need for the Mastercard... at least not for your ebay spending?  So I don't follow.  Do they give you ebay bucks for non-ebay spending as well?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nah I was just saying I spend a lot of ebay.

Message 5 of 7
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

It is important to know what a point is worth on a credit card, and not assume 2 points is the same as 2%.

In the case of the Ebay or Paypal cards, each point is worth 5/6 of a cent at best, so 2X is 1.67% cash back. So you would do better to use a card that gives 2% cash back on all purchases with no annual fee, such as the Blispay.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

This card seems to have very little going for it. As mentioned, the points don't cash out at full value, so the "2x on ebay" is really less than 2%, and the "3x on dining/gas" is still only like 2.5%. While that's an okay return, it's nothing special. The points also seem kind of cumbersome. They expire after 2 years, there's a 6,000 point minimum to get $50 cash, etc. I'm not a fan of convoluted reward systems like that. Basically, unless you use the Ebay/Paypal card for a lot of your spending you will probably see the rewards expiring before you can get any decent reward.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.