cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of credit cards on credit score

tag

Effect of credit cards on credit score

I have a couple of questions:

Given: I have a Citi Mastercard with a limit of $5,600 (card member since 2007), Visa Amazon card (card member since early 2009) with a limit of $3,600, and have perfect payment history (always paid each statement in full and on time - never paid any interest). Other than these two credit cards I have no loans or anything to prove or disprove credit worthiness. My current salary is about 50k and will change to about 56k mid-year. I don't know what my credit score is because I've never run a report.

1. I recently applied for a Paypal Mastercard. I haven't gotten the card yet, but was told over the phone that I had been accepted and that my credit limit would be $500. I didn't request a credit line increase over the phone (I was just accepted and don't even have the card yet), but I really would like to have a larger limit. Every once in awhile I might use paypal for a large purchase in excess of that amount, probably only like once a year, if that, although most of the time I'd just be using it for gas because it gets 3% back - and I'd never spend more than 500/mo on gas - so for the majority of the time I'd have no issue with it. But, it really would be nice to have a larger limit, in the $2,000 - $3,000 range, especially because I'm thinking of getting rid of my Citi mastercard because it only gets 1% back on purchases (5% back on quarterly categories, but I'd rather have consistent year-round rates, which both the Amazon and Paypal cards have). Would my credit score be negatively impacted if I were to request a CLI after a month or two? Should I wait longer - if so how long?

2. Late last year, I increased my credit limit on my Citi card twice. I believe the first was mid-year and the second was late in the year. I think my first increase went fine, from like 2000 to 3500. In the second case, I wanted an increase because I was going to pay my graduate school tuition using the credit card, and the charge would be almost $5,000, so I had to request another CLI. This time it didn't work out. I'm pretty sure I had requested an increase and gotten denied twice in a relatively short time frame (through use of Citi's online form). The reason I requested it a second time shortly after being denied was because I thought the issue might have been my income, so I changed my income to my household income, which someone over the phone said I could do. My household income is significantly higher because I still live with my parents (just graduated from college - undergrad - last May). It was also denied so I called to ask why, and explained my situation further, that my income was X, my household income is Y, I need a larger CLI because of Z, I have a perfect payment history and have been a card member since 07, bla bla bla, and they accepted the jump. My fear, looking back, is that maybe my credit score took a hit? There were two rejections, and one acceptance (an acceptance for the same thing that other two rejections were for), probably in about a one week period. I don't know if the fact that I got the CLI in the end nulls out the fact that I got denied for it twice initially. And I'm worried that, because my new card has only a $500 limit... maybe this is, in part, the reason why. I can't think of any other reason - but then again I don't know much about credit scores.

3. I really want to get rid of my Citi Mastercard. The rewards are nowhere near the Amazon and Paypal cards. My hesitation to do so stems from the fact that (1) this is the credit card I've had the longest - since 2007 - and I have established a history with them, while to other banks I'm new (2) I have a high credit lmit with them, which I very rarely go anywhere near to reaching (often times I'm between $100-200 out of a 5,600 limit) so I assume it helps my credit score (3) I have $28 in rewards but can't redeem them until I get $50 (4) I have no idea how terminating this card would affect my credit score. I really don't want it, and I'd rather have two credit cards than three... especially because the Amazon and Paypal cards are really good for me in terms of rewards. I'm basically losing out on rewards every time I use my citi card. I used to use it for gas but now I'll get 3% back using the Paypal one for both gas and restaurants. And I do almost all of my shopping through Amazon where I get 3% back through that card. I don't have a need for this one anymore, the only reason I got it in the first place was that, when I first joined, I was I think a freshman in college and looking to build some credit history. So, my question is, how bad will it be for me if I terminate this account? To an extent, my rationale in keeping it is that there's a high limit on the card and maybe that will persuade the banks associated with my other credit cards to also give a higher limit - but I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Effect of credit cards on credit score

welcome to the forums

paypal is backed by GEMB and will grow. (mine went from 300 to 1100 in just 8 months) other cards with a decent limit and no AF I would keep open. theres tons of threads on the effect of closing credit cards and how the fico scoring works. good luck

Message 2 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

A long term relationship with CITI may be worth a lot more in the future when you have need for other types of credit.  

It is also good to have a spare, in the case of theft or fraud on the other cards. 

I suggest you keep it and use it occasionally.

Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the tip about GEMB. I don't really mind waiting it out so long as they bump it up as times goes on. I've also decided to keep the Citi card, seems like it's the best choice even if I don't use it much.

Message 4 of 6

@ Wolf - thanks for the advice, I'm going to keep the Citi and make a couple small purchases with it every now and then. I'm probably going to want a home loan in another year or so and want to have a decent rate when I do.

Message 5 of 6
tray
Valued Contributor

Glad to read you are going to keep your Citi Mastercard, Citibank is a prime bank also generous with cli's and I am sure there are alot of people out there that would love to have a citi mastercard in their wallet.Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.