Established Contributor
laboi_22

Effects of Closing Subprime Cards

[ Edited ]

Opinions regarding the closure of subprime cards:

I have a Capital One rebuilder - no annual fee and I have no interest in closing. It does have a high APR however I do not use it. This card has not hindered my ability to land prime cards with good CLs and APRs (even AMEX) which leads to my question: is there any reason why one should believe that having a subprime card as part of their credit portfolio would somehow cause prime lenders to decline applications?

Your thoughts please?? To many posts regarding this matter so please clarify and share past experiences.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Established Contributor
AndyK

Re: Effects of Closing Subprime Cards

laboi_22 wrote:

I have a Capital One rebuilder - no annual fee and I have no interest in closing. It does have a high APR however I do not use it. This card has not hindered my ability to land prime cards with good CLs and APRs (even AMEX) which leads to my question: is there any reason why one should believe that having a subprime card as part of their credit portfolio would somehow cause prime lenders to decline applications?

Your thoughts please?? To many posts regarding this matter so please clarify and share past experiences.

I think the general recommendation to close is because the rebuilder cards won't grow with you, generally have hefty fees (monthly or annual) and high APR and low limits. Plus some creditors might not like you having more than X open accounts in general.

Beyond that, I don't see why it would be an issue. Maybe if your application goes into manual review and an underwriter doesn't like seeing a bunch of subprime banks on your report. But for an automated decision, I doubt it'll have any impact at all.

EQ 679 FICO (02/24/2012)
TU 721 FICO (03/10/2012)
EX 703 FICO (05/05/2012)

Cards: NFCU cashRewards $14k, NFCU Platinum $14k, USAA Amex $7k, Amazon Visa $3k, Chase Freedom $2.5k, Amex Zync NPSL, Discover More $1k, Amazon Store $1.3k, Walmart Store $700
pizzadude

I have seen some people reporting being declined by AMEX because they had a First Preemie account on their reports. Kinda like being guilty by association. I think you don't have anything to worry about with cap1 though.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Mega Contributor
LS2982

laboi_22 wrote:

I would think prime lenders do look down on someone's CR if they see the likes of FP, CreditOne, Applied Bank etc.

Because it looks as though your still in rebuild mode and most ppl with these TL's do not have a year on the cards at that.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Established Contributor
frogfan12

I don't think Capital One is a subprime lender. I've been approved for many things with Capital One being on my CR. They're one of my oldest accounts, so I will not be closing it. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
New Contributor
ptkdude

Amex denied me because of an OPEN First Premier on my reports (it was included as a denial reason). Once it was closed, Amex approved me no problem.

Starting Score: 660 Jan 2012
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

pizzadude

Yeah, Cap1 does have a number of prime cards, so I don't see any creditors getting nervous because of it.

First Preemie is known as a rebuilder only card, no prime cards at all.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Valued Contributor
jamesdwi

[ Edited ]

frogfan12 wrote:

I don't think Capital One is a subprime lender. I've been approved for many things with Capital One being on my CR. They're one of my oldest accounts, so I will not be closing it. 

Cap-One has both prime and sub-prime cards. and in the scheme things even CapOne subprime cards aren't terrible, some cards are only $39 a year and give rewards, Where some of the other companies mentioned have  costs equivalent to a AMEX platinum card each  year and give you a sub $500 CL. 

I have now two AMEX (Blue and Zync)  and Chase  Freedom card with multiple Cap One cards, 2 of mine and 1 AU card my wife, so CapOne is not a negative on your report escpecially if they report no lates and limits over $500. Not to mention 2x  HSBC MC cards,  Bestbuy and Sears.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak 4.6k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Zync NPSL, Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 4/26//2014 no plans for new credit I think I have enough.
Valued Contributor
crunching_numbers

[ Edited ]

ptkdude wrote:
Amex denied me because of an OPEN First Premier on my reports (it was included as a denial reason). Once it was closed, Amex approved me no problem.

Of course, that was because the act of closing the card made you SO much more credit worthy..  :smileylol:  Give me a break. That is the lamest denial I have heard yet.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: 748 TU(12/12), 783 TU98 , 813 TU08 FICO, 744 EQ FICO , 735 EX(9/12), 794 EX08 FICO, 809 EX08 bankcard FICO
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (20.7K), BofA Travel Rewards ($17.5), B&N World MC ($17.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (15K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig ($8.6K), Disc It ($8K), Citi Dia Pref MC ($3.7K),Sam's D ($8.5K), Wally D ($7.5K), JCP($5.3K)
Frequent Contributor
payingoffdebt001

ptkdude wrote:

WOW!!!  that is something else - so glad I'm hearing this.   I think its crazy but you are proof it does happen!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}