cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elaborate on why having more cards with the same company?

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Elaborate on why having more cards with the same company?

Hey OP!

A lot of the duplicate cards are also from banks that bought out other banks and the card holders had accounts with both.  For example- Washington Mutual card holders were converted to Freedom holders in the buy out.  If the holder already had a Freedom with Chase, they now have 2.  When CapOne bought out HSBC, the cards were converted to Plat MCs in most cases.  Many on here already had CapOne Plats so thus, now they have 2 Or in some cases 3.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 11 of 12
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Elaborate on why having more cards with the same company?

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

Possible explanations are sign up bonuses, rewards, spending category caps (for MS), choosing multiple bonus categories, decreasing your utilization, etc.

I have two QS, not by choice. At one point, I held 1 Cash Rewards and 1 QS. The Cash Rewards product was discontinued and existing accts were automatically converted to QS. Both are currently SD'd, as I am meeting min spend requirements.

I have two BBR on purpose for the rewards. Each yields $120 per year. I'm going to PC another BoA card later this summer, giving me 3!

Two BBR cards? Hmm, thats a very interesting idea.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.