Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan Credit Cards

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Elan Credit Cards

March 18 I applied out of boredom for the Flagstar Redwings card which is serviced by Elan Financial (US Bank) for god knows what reason. I gave it a week and found a backdoor number for Elan - they couldnt find the app. Decided to call the regular Flagstar number a few days ago and they advised it was denied. No big deal, US Bank isnt interested in a guy like me. They also pulled my EX, when I thought US Bank only pulled TU where I live (lesson learned).

So today I get the denial letter along with an application for an Elan secured card which became my shredder's dinner. Strictly out of curiosity since I dont hear much about Elan does anybody have a secured card with them? How is it with graduating vs. BoA? Let me reiterate, I am only curious because I was unaware of its existence.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Re: Elan Credit Cards

@B335is wrote:
March 18 I applied out of boredom for the Flagstar Redwings card which is serviced by Elan Financial (US Bank) for god knows what reason. I gave it a week and found a backdoor number for Elan - they couldnt find the app. Decided to call the regular Flagstar number a few days ago and they advised it was denied. No big deal, US Bank isnt interested in a guy like me. They also pulled my EX, when I thought US Bank only pulled TU where I live (lesson learned).

So today I get the denial letter along with an application for an Elan secured card which became my shredder's dinner. Strictly out of curiosity since I dont hear much about Elan does anybody have a secured card with them? How is it with graduating vs. BoA? Let me reiterate, I am only curious because I was unaware of its existence.

I don't know.

Message 2 of 22
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@corymcd88 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I don't know.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 22
Ron1
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear. I don't have too much luck with Elan. I got denied for Keys Bank WMC a couple of years ago. I think they are tougher than US Bank.

Ron.

Message 4 of 22
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Sorry to hear. I don't have too much luck with Elan. I got denied for Keys Bank WMC a couple of years ago. I think they are tougher than US Bank.

Ron.

I had an Elan card for a short while...  back then PNC had Elan issue the card, and then it changed servicers (transferred) into PNC.

Several local banks use Elan rather than offer their own card...  a few credit unions, but also some regional players, like Fulton.

I've not been impressed with anything from Elan when compared to other card offers I had on the table, so I haven't apped with them since.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 5 of 22
mt2va
Established Contributor

I have a secured Visa serviced by Elan.  It doesn't graduate but I'm sure the criteria has to do with the actual bank the card is for.  Perhaps another bank would allow graduation??

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 6 of 22
junior88
Frequent Contributor

I received a pre approval from local CU yesterday to apply for their card which is backed by Elan. Now, 2 months back I had already applied right after being approved for a US Bank card, at that time they used the same inquiry but denied me for the CU card. I applied yesterday, it said I would receive a response in 7-10 days but it also went to another screen asking me for balance transfer info as well after the original message. I called underwriting to see if they pulled my report and she had said no but that she could see I was denied a few months back, I said yes, she said that it's in review but since I was denied a few months back that may play a role in this decision. As of this morning, they have not pulled any credit yet. So I am not sure what to think. She had said within 24 hours the decision should be complete.

11/13/23 TU 808 EX 800 EQ 806 ---- Discover $35,000/AmEx Delta Plat $30,000/Chase United $26,200/BOA $25,000/Macys AmEx $25,000/Sams Club MC $20,000GM Card $18,000/Chase IHG $16,000/Barclay Rewards $12,100/Dicks MasterCard $10,000/Lowes$15,000/BOA Cash Rewards $13,800/Citi Double Cash $9400/Citi Simplicity $8200/Target MC $8000/Wells Fargo Visa $7000/State Farm $4000
Message 7 of 22
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Does elon have anything to do with US Bank?

Message 8 of 22
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

I actually have 2 cards issued by Elan-  Both at one time were issued for different financial institutions.  One was Citizens first national bank in Illinois, another was Genisys CU... Over the last 12 months, both have been transferred to Elan solely, new cards issued.  They were stingy for the longest time.. The first card sat at a $500 limit for years, the second $2000, then after a year $4000.. received letters in the mail November last year on the oldest card for a CLI offer.  Jumped on it.  Went from $500 to $4500 with no hard pull.  The second card, received a letter in January, same thing.. No hard pull went from $4000 to $$8500...  

They haven't upgraded to Siggy's, but on one of them they added rewards points as an upgrade....  I pretty much sock drawer these with very little use at all. 

My experience is opposite, Elan likes me.. US Bank- not so much... you would think they have the same underwriting or close since I'm pretty sure US Bank owns them.

Message 9 of 22
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

Does elon have anything to do with US Bank?

Elan is owned by US Bank. They use that name for credit unions and other banks so that they don't have US Bank on their credit cards. I believe they also supply the online banking portion to some institutions.

@jason86423 wrote:

My experience is opposite, Elan likes me.. US Bank- not so much... you would think they have the same underwriting or close since I'm pretty sure US Bank owns them.

They do own them, but I'm unsure if they operate together or seperately. What I mean is, they may not look at payment history on each others cards when reviewing applications or consider limits on both issuers cards when deciding how much credit to extend someone. It's possible that the underwriting could differ between the two. I do know they use the same underwriting department, as the people at the US Bank numbers were able to see the Elan application.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.