Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan financial visa cli

tag
littlesister
Contributor

Elan financial visa cli

I can't believe it ! I just received a letter in the mail saying they have increased my credit limit to 10,000 !!!!

I checked on line and its already there. I didn't even ask for one and i'm so excited !

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Elan financial visa cli

Congrats! I tried to get a CC w/them last year when I was rebuilding because my bank offers CCs thru them. They flat-out denied me and wouldn't take my banking relationship into account at all in their decision. I even reconed (before I even knew what that was from here!) to no avail. Of course, if I had known about the forum at the time, I wouldn't have even tried! Smiley Happy

How long have you had your CC? What was the CL before your CLI?

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I've heard of elan so many times, and the local CU here actually does their CCs through them but I don't know anything about them Smiley Tongue 

Are they tough? 

Message 3 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

IME, yes. I mean, I had a ckg acct at my bank for over 4 yrs and had 2 PIF secured loans that I had opened to rebuild, each showing 1 yr history. I had no other revolvers at the time, but was just looking for a small CL CC to start. Knowing what I know now, I never would have done that. But still, I had 1 yr pos history on 2 TLs and 4+ yrs pos history w/my bank, and flat-out denied.

I'd say they're probably in line w/Citi and Amex as far as approvals and what they're looking for. What's unfortunate is that they offer CCs through banks and CUs, but refuse to take that banking relationship into account in underwriting. So, you're really going in cold, like with any of the big bank CCs. Unlike what many have experienced here w/local CUs helping people rebuild or establish credit w/a CC.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Elan Financial is basically part of US Bank, like how FIA Service is part of BofA.

Message 5 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad that you posted this. My husbands bank has been soliciting him for a cc; the fine print said Elan financial. I didn't know much about it but his scores are pretty low so I'm glad he never tried to apply
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 10
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

I believe they are very conservative, but I have wanted to get in with them because of a relative that has one with a $10,000+ CL.

They offer a card through my local bank, and I've tried every time I've gotten a pre-approval letter (maybe 3-4 times over a 10 year period), and I've been declined every time.  This year, I've raised my scores tremendously and tried again last month, and I naturally believed I would get approved and get a nice CL - they pulled TU, and with a 721 I was granted a $3,000 CL - lol!

I did get a 0% BT offer for 15 months, so I plan to pay off a small card and see what happens.  Maybe after I demonstrate positive history with them I will also get a CLI.  I'm not holding my breath, though - my credit luck is pretty sketchy.  Smiley Indifferent 

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 7 of 10
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 8 of 10
littlesister
Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Congrats! I tried to get a CC w/them last year when I was rebuilding because my bank offers CCs thru them. They flat-out denied me and wouldn't take my banking relationship into account at all in their decision. I even reconed (before I even knew what that was from here!) to no avail. Of course, if I had known about the forum at the time, I wouldn't have even tried! Smiley Happy

How long have you had your CC? What was the CL before your CLI?

I haven't even had it 6 months and my credit limit was 7000 ! I received a pre-approval in the mail and was approved instantly.

I got the card for a balance transfer and i had a 2800 balance when I got the increase...O APR for 15 monthsand 11.9 after

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got approved for Elan about 8 months back through my bank. I got it because I have horrible credit and trying to rebuild it. It's only for $500, but it's a start. I wonder if I asked for a CLI though if I would get it. My TU is 565.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.